We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kodiak Island Van Tours

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Topic
Kodiak Island Van Tours

hi again,

we are looking to take that tour, does anybody have a comment ? thanks a lot

9 replies to this topic
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kodiak Island Van Tours

I am not sure exactly which tour you are talking about as you did not provide a link. However, I have gone with Memorymakers and it was an excellent tour.

http://www.memorymakersinak.com/

Hawley, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
160 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kodiak Island Van Tours

Hello. you do not provide much information, but I am assuming that you are going to Kodiak Island and want to do a tour. I do not advise this, because I think that you can do it on your own. Kodiak island is a very small island that has only 4 main roads. When we were in Kodiak in 2009 we rented a car and travelled all four of the roads by ourselves. It was easy, and we were able to spend as much time in each place that we stopped in as we wished. Do a little more research on this forum, and send away for a brochure from Kodiak Island. This will be very helpful to you. Joyce

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kodiak Island Van Tours

Although renting a car is a good option for some, we really enjoyed taking the tour with a local guide who was such a wealth of information.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kodiak Island Van Tours

thanks, its help a lot, i'll rent a car, thank you

Kodiak, Alaska
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Kodiak Island Van Tours

Renting a car on Kodiak Island is a huge mistake. You miss wildlife and information trying to do it on your own. Not knowing what to look for, and the dangers of getting out in bear country with out a guide. It will ensure you have a safe, and positive experience on the island. Without a guide can possibly put the visitor to Kodiak in harms way without realizing it. Be smart, it's not always the wisest idea to do it on your own, this is one of them.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kodiak Island Van Tours

Are there any tours you can particularly recommend kodiakgurl (assuming you're not affliated with any) - particularly for showing off the best of what Kodiak has to offer? We will be visiting on a HAL cruise next year and there isn't much info on shore excursions for Kodiak.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kodiak Island Van Tours

Tez: I would be suspicious of posts from "one post wonders." You chose a great cruise!!! Enjoy your time in Alaska!!!

In 2011 we booked a tour with Memory Makers in Kodiak. At the time, I believe Dake was the only tour guide. I think I have read he has since expanded his business. I can't vouch for anyone else in the company, but Dake gave an excellent tour. If you can get enough people to book his van, you can customize the tour to what you want. Dake communicated well before the tour, met us at the dock and showed us the highlights of the area. He is very knowledgeable and we gained some great insight into living on Kodiak Island. I highly recommend. Here is the link to his website:

http://www.memorymakersinak.com/index.html

Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
146 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kodiak Island Van Tours

We rented a car in August and were very satisfied with our decision. Read about the history and study the milepost, doing these things should prepare you for your visit. We were able to stay at a B & B a little ways out of town because of our rental car and thoroughly enjoyed the freedom it afforded us.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kodiak Island Van Tours

My two cents is that if you are on a cruise ship with very limited touring time, it is often best to go on a tour. Typically you will see more and get running commentary. That is what we always enjoy: hearing from the locals that live in the area.

Reply to: Kodiak Island Van Tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kodiak
More Kodiak Topics