We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in Kuta

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Crime in Kuta

Beware mafia style aggressive bracelet vendors are operating in Kuta Lombok area. I was chilling on the beach right next to the main road, in front of a major hotel at 2 o'clock in the afternoon. Next thing a twenty year's old local guy threatened me with a glass bottle! First I said to him I was not interested to buy bracelets. But he said I must buy or he would knock me down with the empty beer bottle he picked up on the beach. I should be clear that's day time in the middle of the afternoon. First I was laughing at him, but he was not, and became more and more threatening so I had to stand up and go away from him. I can't believe Indonesian police is not doing anything in Kuta Lombok. Later I saw the same guy on a almost brand new scooter carrying a very young bracelet vendor all the way to other tourists. That's clearly organised crime. Stay away from the beach.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in Kuta

I'm sorry for your experience. I have to honestly say I find it unusual. There are lots of kids that sell little brackets on the beach, and they can be annoying. I've not ever seen an adult selling. And certainly not behaving as you described. The kids are sometimes accompanied by a family member who can also have transport. There is almost no public transport anymore so it's normal for a motorbike to be used.

The police are actually quite active, I'm not sure what you base your statement that they don't do anything? Did you report what happened to you so that they could investigate?

Lombok
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime in Kuta

Like sudiah I am amazed by your story. I have lived here for 19 years and know many of the sellers, And get on well with the majority too. I know there is the odd bad egg who will get aggressive if they do not like how a tourist behaves with them so it is always best to be polite and respectful when dealing with locals. I hope you can move on and enjoy a better experience from now on

3. Re: Crime in Kuta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 31, 2017