We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doolin hotel & B&B Recommendations

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Doolin hotel & B&B Recommendations

Hello! I will be traveling to Doolin on November 18th only for one night. I have been looking at the reviews of the accomodations and I can't figure out which one to choose. They all look wonderful. As a first time visitor can anyone make a specific recommedation on where to stay. We would like to be able to walk to and from the pub and restaurants. I will be traveling with 2 other friends and all 3 of us are gay, but not flambouyant. I hope to stay in aplace that will be accepting of that. I have never stayed in a B&B and would not want to feel uncomfortable if the owners were not OK with us. Even though I am sure that would not be an issue, I guess it's something I felt was worth asking. Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Doolin hotel & B&B Recommendations

Hi,

I've been to Doolin twice, most recently in June 2005. If you've seen a map of the village there are 2 pubs at one end and the 3rd at the other end -- to walk from one end to the other takes about 15 minutes. Everything is within walking distance.

The first time we stayed at Cullinan's Guesthouse (www.cullinansdoolin.com). It's right at the crossroads as you come in to Doolin, so it's equidistant from the pubs. They have a pretty good restaurant in the guesthouse -- definitely better than anything else in town, unless you prefer pub food.

The last time we were there we stayed at Daly's House (www.dalys-house.com) which is a less than 5 minute walk to O'Conner's Pub. It was nice too.

I have no idea about either place's opinions on you guys being gay. I can't imagine that they would have a problem with in.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doolin hotel & B&B Recommendations

Hi. Just want to say that Doolin gets plenty of tourists and it won't be a problem. I should mention something also for you or future readers. Especially in small towns there is a natural curiosity of strangers. I've had it happen many times where I walk into a pub and it seemed all conversation stopped as they checked out the new arrival. It seems odd for a minute and then gets back to a very comfortable feeling. I just thought I'd mention it so that you don't think it's you. It happens to everyone. Cheers.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doolin hotel & B&B Recommendations

Thank you both so much for this advice. I have one more question, since we will be arriving at Shannon Airport so early (7AM), are there any stops you would recommend making on our way to Doolin? According to the driving directions I found the drive from SNN to Doolin is 1 1/2 hours. I doubt we will be able to sit in the car that long without wanting to stop. Also, is there a website that can be recommended for driving directions? I found www.theaa.com but it did not offer a map of the route.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,078 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doolin hotel & B&B Recommendations

If your flight arrives at 7:00 it would be 8:00 or a bit later by the time you get through customs and get the rental car.

Still too early for the closest main attraction of Bunratty (which would be a couple of miles in the wrong direction anyway...)

You could make a stop in Ennis on your way out to Doolin. Walk around a bit, stop in somewhere like a hotel (Old Ground is good) for breakfast.

Then on to the Cliffs of Moher, by the time you hang out there for a bit your B&B should be ready for you. (They don't want you to show up too early when they're still dealing with the previous nights' guests).

Also give a google for "Dysert O'Dea", a castle outside of Ennis. A bit of a detour maybe, but worth a stop.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doolin hotel & B&B Recommendations

Thanks IrishFan! I think that stopping at Ennis for breakfast sounds like a great idea. Especially since I was originally planning on staying there my first night and I still have to drive through it.

Unfortunately, it looks like Dysert O'Dea Castle is only open from May through the end of September. But it does look beautiful! I think that heading towards the Cliffs of Moher after Ennis will be just as amazing.

As you mentioned I don't want to arrive to the B&B too early and interupt them while they are still taking care of other guests. Who know we may just end up at a pub for an early afternoon drink to kill some time. :)

Hmm... that also brings up another question (just out of curiosity) What is the average price of a pint of beer and/or a drink in Ireland (guessing that the big cities are more expensive). Here in Atlanta the average price is about $4.00 for beer or "bottom shelf" alcohol. That is about 3.15 EURO.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doolin hotel & B&B Recommendations

Hi. Good advice above. For a map, you could check out here(at the end). At Shannon, there's a shop where you could also get an Ordinance Survey map. That, and the one you'll probably get from the car rental place will most likely still get you temporarily lost. Just enjoy the experience. :-) A pint would be roughly the equivalent of Atl. so. Cheers. www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp…

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doolin hotel & B&B Recommendations

Actually, a pint would probably be a bit(less than a buck) more. Cheers.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doolin hotel & B&B Recommendations

Thanks Boru! I guess what I was ideally looking for was a site that gave me both driving directions and a map highlighting the route. Just like Map Quest does in the US.

Map Quest has it for certain countries in Europe but not Ireland. I think you might be right though, I will just pick up a map at the airport and enjoy it if I get lost. There are worse places to get lost in this world.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Doolin hotel & B&B Recommendations

I use www.viamichelin.com for all my driving in Europe -- hasn't let me down yet & it has the route highlighted.

Menomonee Falls...
Level Contributor
124 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Doolin hotel & B&B Recommendations

Here's a great website for route planning. It's like AAA in the States. I used it extensively last year and found it to be very accurate. Just remember to add more time :)

Enjoy!

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/