We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spend St patrick's Day in Doolin or Galway?

Which Doolin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barnstaple, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Spend St patrick's Day in Doolin or Galway?

Hello

I am planning on spending a couple of days in Doolin but then travel onto Galway;

I'm not sure whether to spend (travel from doolin, by bus? in the morning) St patrick's day in Galway, or just stay in Doolin for st paddy's day?

Not sure which is better!

Thank you!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spend St patrick's Day in Doolin or Galway?

It depends what you have planned for Doolin on that day. If you are just going to hang around the Doolin area, then I'd say make the most of that day and go to Galway. If you have something specific planned for Doolin on that day such as a hike, a visit to the Islands, an expedition of some sort or maybe just to lubricate your innards, then I suggest you stay in Doolin.

There is little to see in Doolin itself (it's a very small village with lots of B&B's adjacent) apart from Atlantic views, once you've done that you have to leave Doolin and continue exploring the remainder of beautiful County Clare.

I have never seen the Galway St Patricks Parade, but I'd say it's a good 'un. Additionally the atmosphere in Galway will probably be excellent.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Spend St patrick's Day in Doolin or Galway?

Galway.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spend St patrick's Day in Doolin or Galway?

There are a few small "parades" around the Burren but Galway is always along with Limerick on my go to List.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,112 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spend St patrick's Day in Doolin or Galway?

If you are particularly interested in the St Patrick's Day parade, I would head to Galway rather than staying around Doolin for the day.

It sounds like you intend heading to Galway anyway, unless I am misreading your post, so I assume it is a matter of timing.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,610 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spend St patrick's Day in Doolin or Galway?

Another vote for Galway.

Edited: 3:55 pm, February 15, 2014
6. Re: Spend St patrick's Day in Doolin or Galway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, March 22, 2015