We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doolin

Which Doolin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
4 posts
Save Topic
Doolin

I have learned so much from the questions and answers that have been posted in this forum that I thought it would behoove me to ask another.

I have heard and read a lot about Doolin. Evidently it is known for its authentic Irish music in quaint pubs. My only fear is that it might have become too touristy. I have read a few things that suggest it might no longer be the place it used to be. Are there any other towns that anyone could recommend that are known for its pubs, music and atmosphere? Or is Dooolin the place to be?

I would appreciate any advice that can be offered. Thanks!!!

Clare
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Doolin

GioFiaNio

I was there yesterday and it is touisty, but that gives it a buzz - great for people watching. We were in a new pub (McHugh's) that opened in Liscannor, we had one drink and left because it was dead.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,520 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doolin

Doolin the the place to be if you want to meet a lot of other people from New York. :)

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doolin

That's New Yawk, :-) and often true. Off season is okay though to meet more locals. Cheers.

Doolin
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Doolin

Hi GioFiaNio,

> I have heard and read a lot about Doolin.

Well, what's stopping you? Were the reports you heard/read all bad?

Doolin can never become to touristy. It's the tourists that made Doolin what it was/is/will be. Without tourists there is no 'Doolin'.

Yes, the music is still good in Doolin. If it's not so good in one Pub one night you just go to the next. Not great either? Go to the third one. Still no good? Well, you are really having a tough time. But remember the old saying: It's either a feast or a famine.

Give it a try. If you are coming all the way from Amerikay, you can't go home without finding out for yourself. And be sure to let us know on this post what you thought about the place after your trip.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doolin

I was there for one night in February. Went to Gus O'Connor's Pub and had a great time. Met people from all over and liked the food, good drink and people. It's worth the time!

Kansas
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doolin

Just returned from Doolin. It was our favorite place, pub-wise. McDermott's had awesome music. Gus O'Connor's was OK but didn't match up, music wise. All pubs were packed w. locals and tourists alike.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,371 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doolin

gio, i love doolin...i don't find it touristy at all...it is still small and quaint and i loved the pubs, both the music and the pub food...

we stayed in a lovely b&b in doolin (on the same road as the cliffs ) just before you turn off of that road to go into doolin town, and as usual since i am at the office instead of home i can't remember it's name but it sits on a hill just before a petrol station and the wool wear shop (can't remember it's name either) maybe doolin will know which one i am talking about...the lady of the house i think is kathryn and she has 9 children....now why can i remember all of that and not the name of the b&b??????...lol...

anyway, it is a lovely area, go and have a great time.....

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,371 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doolin

gio, i love doolin...i don't find it touristy at all...it is still small and quaint and i loved the pubs, both the music and the pub food...

we stayed in a lovely b&b in doolin (on the same road as the cliffs ) just before you turn off of that road to go into doolin town, and as usual since i am at the office instead of home i can't remember it's name but it sits on a hill just before a petrol station and the wool wear shop (can't remember it's name either) maybe doolin will know which one i am talking about...the lady of the house i think is kathryn and she has 9 children....now why can i remember all of that and not the name of the b&b??????...lol...

anyway, it is a lovely area, go and have a great time.....

boston
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Doolin

I just returned from Ireland and Doolin was our favorite place. I did not really like DIngle because it was touristy, but I didn't find this in Doolin. They don't even have an ATM machine in town - I loved that. We did see some tour buses arrive, but we just walked in the other direction to the harbor. It was beautiful and peaceful and I found the pubs filled with locals. I can't wait to go back!!

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Doolin

Thanks for the report Shirleyroad, and I'm happy you had a great trip. Cheers.