We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliffs of Moher cruise - seasickness?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
221 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Cliffs of Moher cruise - seasickness?

Hello,

I will be in the area in early September. We are considering taking one of the cruises to view the Cliffs of Moher from sea-level, but I am somewhat prone to seasickness. I'm usually fine in calmer waters, though. I know it's the Atlantic ocean, and I therefore suspect that the waters are pretty rough, but I thought I'd just ask here --

Do you think it's likely that the waters in early September would be calm or rough (I know this obviously depends a lot on the weather)?

Do you get lots of reports of seasick Cliff-viewers?

Thanks!!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliffs of Moher cruise - seasickness?

These are fairly small boats and don't go out if it's too rough. Having said that this is the Atlantic coast and can be a bit choppy. As you say make your choice the day before (if booking the Inis Oirr - Cliffs combo) or on the day.

www.obrienline.com/index.php?page=product-002

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
303 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliffs of Moher cruise - seasickness?

I questioned whether I should respond, but here goes. It was choppy, especially when you get near the cliffs last October. I did get seasick during the combined tour. Nothing much more then moderate nausea. However, I went on an empty stomach and as soon as I was on terra firma, I had a decent late lunch and was fine. That being said, the tour was well worth it as most people don't get to see the cliffs from this angle. As Tony said, if it is too rough, the boats will not go out. If you are staying in Doolin, check in the day you arrive, even if it is the day before. Sometimes they cancel or change the tours a day or two ahead due to weather forecasts. Have fun.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,604 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliffs of Moher cruise - seasickness?

I was there end of June and while the smaller boat trip to the Cliffs was canceled, the larger (100 foot) boat still went out. I had already done the trip so sent some family members out while I got things settled into the B&B.

It was windy and rainy, but the sky cleared a bit as they departed, so they got decent views. They returned having thoroughly enjoyed the trip. But they also returned with tales of more than a few people headed to the rail of the boat along the way!

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cliffs of Moher cruise - seasickness?

Oh dear, I am feeling sick just reading some of the comments on here:-))

If you don't get sick on calm seas, you might be lucky and get a nice day.

As the others have said, wait and see what the weather is like and make your decision then.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
221 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cliffs of Moher cruise - seasickness?

Thanks for all the honest advice! It sounds like I might give it a try if it seems really calm, but otherwise, I'll have to satisfy myself with the spectacular views from the top. I'll hope for good weather. :)

Thanks again!

Oshawa, ON
Level Contributor
53 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cliffs of Moher cruise - seasickness?

We went on a "fine day" in August . When we started out it looked calm and sunny but by the time we were half way to the island people were getting sick. If you do take a boat ride to the island then get on the boat early and get a seat at the back of the boat as the cool air helps keep you calmer - do not sit inside the cabin.

If you are feeling sea sick then go up top and pick a spot on the island and concentrate on it for the rest of the ride. I would suggest you not include the Cliffs as part of the boat ride. This adds to the time you are on the boat and the waves were even worse near the cliffs.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
221 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cliffs of Moher cruise - seasickness?

OshawaJim, thanks for the feedback! I'm thinking I may have to stick with the views from the tops of the cliffs, but I'll pass this along to my travel companions. Much appreciated. :)

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cliffs of Moher cruise - seasickness?

For what it's worth, I don't usually get seasick, but I don't take chances on a boat trip in Irish waters. I always take a Bonine ( like Dramamine-- but less sleepy effects ) before getting on a boat.

I've been in rough waters and not ever had a problem. Perhaps all the fresh air also helped. But I don't want to miss a great trip because of a queasy stomach

Ellen

Saint Marys...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cliffs of Moher cruise - seasickness?

We went in june on a ytpical windy day and three or four folks ended up getting very sick. But don't let that deter you. Take Florida EllenB's advice and prepare yourself, the view from below is spectacular.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,412 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cliffs of Moher cruise - seasickness?

I too am prone to seasickness, and even if the sea is ot rough and there is no wind, the Atlantic coast is prone to heavy swells. Take your tablets and ask the boat man to advise on the day