We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shannon excursions

Which Doolin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
GREEN BAY
Level Contributor
4 posts
901 reviews
Save Topic
Shannon excursions

Staying in the Shannon area February 10-16. My girlfriend and I have been to Doolin/Burren/Cliffs, Tralee and points south and east in June 2006. This time we are bringing her parents and obviously it will be a tad cooler.

Looking for recommendations for: (1) day trips - we'll do the Bunratty Park of course; (2) restaurants; (3) pubs for music or just general welcoming atmosphere; and any other suggestions.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,387 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shannon excursions

dsj5777

Loads of options from Shannon area.

Couple of areas that you may not have visited.

1) Lough Derg

Make you way to the village of Sixmilebridge, and continue on R471until just before Clonlara, then get into the tiny village of O'Briensbridge on R463.

Do not cross bridge here into Montpelier - must try to find out how that got its name:-) but continue on R463 to Killaloe.

Everyone will enjoy this pretty village on Lough Derg, nice cafes and views of Lough Derg - consider a quick trip on the lake

http://www.killaloe.ie/whelans/

Once you have left Killaloe, you'll have spectacular views of the lake, and continue to the pretty village of Scarriff, perhaps as far as Mountshannon, and take in a visit to Holy island.

Make you way back to Tuamgraney, and find the hill side village of Tulla - great restaurant called Flappers here.

Going back to Shannon area either continue onto Ennis, or go through villages like Kilkishen - aand visit Cullane lake - you'll have this lovely area to yourself!

Either route, you'll be back nearby Shannon area.

There is absolutely beautiful countryside that few get to see if instead of taking the N18 out of Shannon, if you go through a series of roundabouts in the opposite direction, until you come to Ballymurtagh roundabout.

Follow sign posts for Tara Green & Ballycally. You can take in really undiscovered views of the islands along this drive, and look out for historical monuments like Tobair Malairidhe well, Clenagh castle (childhood home of Maire Rua of Lemanagh castle in the Burren) and turn off into New Market on Fergus shortly after Cahergal house - this is all within minutes of the town of Shannon and rarely visited.

The Honk bar is in this area, and was a regular stopping point for the late Tony Ryan, founder of Ryan air.

Pubs in the Shannon area, Creamery bar in Bunratty, Sophies (Oakwood) , Dromoland castle, Goal post (bar of Shannon GAA)Carrygerry house, Macs pub (Bunratty) , Bunratty castle hotel, the Honk (stepping back in time), and some great pubs in Quin village - very close to Shannon.

Also Crabtree in Newmarket on Fergus - used to be the stagecoach stop between Limerick & Galway - and its very close to the beautiful lake area of Finlough.

I deleted the old link on this (that did not work) and have started to put together routes - some of the Bunratty barony (starting to get them together) are on my profile if you want to have a

look;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186595-c51812/County…

Also take a look at;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g212526-c59985/Bunrat…

and

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g212526-s5/Bunratty:I…

One thing - had being putting off Murphy's cottage in Shannon town (its in a thatched cottage across from Oakwood Arms hotel / McDonalds area) but tried it the other night. Great value, great choices and open from 07:30 to 22:30 - don't own it or know the owners, but was pleasantly surprised.

Again, I put these together over time, and probably need to update them.

Here's another link where there are various things to do in the county - but you'll need to check back for finalised dates.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g214506-i3191-k155…

Hope that this helps.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,387 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shannon excursions

Forgot to add - Loop Head - fantastic coastal scenery, Kilbaha, church of the holy ark, bridges of Ross, Loop Head light house, nice choices of pubs in Carrigoholt.

www.loopheadclare.com

Am leaving out north Clare because you've already been there!

Watertown, New York
Level Contributor
288 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shannon excursions

Ferdia so you have a problem with Durty Nelly's? you recommended the Creamry at Bunratty... I have never been there myself yet.. just curious.

T

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,387 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shannon excursions

Taewolf. Dead right of course - the piano gets to me sometimes, but you are right, it is one of those unique Irish pubs, and I should have included it.

Macs also if I left it out, and selection of pubs in Sixmilebridge, like McGregors that have live music.

Spent enough time in Nellys myself in the past :-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shannon excursions

If you're hoping to eat somewhere nice on the 14th, you will have to book well in advance.

Try now if you have your heart set on somewhere but I have found that even the more well known places dont take reservations until they have their new diary after Christmas.

So put a note in your diary to book Valentines first thing in the new year!!!

Watertown, New York
Level Contributor
288 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shannon excursions

Ferdia ok I gotcha!!

I don't care for Mac's it runs me the wrong way and I'm not sure why?!

T

GREEN BAY
Level Contributor
4 posts
901 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shannon excursions

What would be a recommended Valentine's place?

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,387 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shannon excursions

Gallaghers seafood in Bunratty,

Bunratty Manor Hotel,

Earl of Thomond in Dromoland castle,

Cherry Tree, Killaloe,

Red Door in Bunratty house

all at the upper end of the market.

Other options would be the Gallery in Quin,

Palm Court in the Oakwood, Shannon,

Carrygarry house, Newmarket on Fergus – all very convenient and popular.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g212526-s5/Bunratty:I…

Also plenty of options in Ennis - have a look at:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186597-i1828-k156…

Limerick also has great options within a variety of budgets,

Bella Italia Bistro (http://www.bellaitalia.ie/ ) , Copper and spice, Brulees and so on.

Good advice to book sooner than later, because otherwise you’ll probably get stuck with a “I’m lovin’ it” type of establishment :-)

Hope that this helps.

9. Re: Shannon excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, May 15, 2009