We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doolin instead of Ennis?

Minnetonka, MN
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Doolin instead of Ennis?

We're a family of 5, including a 4 year old. On our second day in Ireland, we will drive up to the Cliffs of Moher from Bunratty, and probably visit Aillwee Cave if we're feeling up to it. We're driving to Dingle the following morning, and had planned on staying in Ennis that night, but now I think it may be more enjoyable and relaxing to have a night in Doolin. Several members here have suggested this and it makes sense. I'd like some advice on where to stay, preferably where we could park the car and stroll around the village a bit. I was thinking Roadford House, Sea View House, Cullinan's. Toomullin House, Killilagh, Daly's...

Many thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,078 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doolin instead of Ennis?

It really depends on what you're looking for. I like both places. But Ennis is a town, complete with numerous shops, pubs, restaurants, etc. Doolin is rural, with a few places to eat (and drink) but not much else. It makes a good base for seeing the surrounding areas, though.

One other thing, Doolin is spread out, a procession of B&Bs and guesthouses and private homes spread out along a fairly narrow road from the harbor to the church it's probably well over a mile. So the "stroll around the village" thing can be a bit daunting when there are cars coming at you and no sidewalks. (Or very narrow ones).

Where are you staying your first night? I'd be inclined to just stay there, visit the Cliffs as a day trip and head for Dingle, without the need to check out and check in again.

Minnetonka, MN
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Doolin instead of Ennis?

Hi Irish Fan,

We are staying at Bunratty Lodge the first night, as we're going to do the castle and banquet. We get in to Shannon at 6am, so jetlag we'll be a bit of a factor and with a 4-year old in tow, we wanted to do as little driving as possible on that first day.

Roadford House and Sea View are my top 2 choices. Have you stayed in either one?

Cork
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doolin instead of Ennis?

Hi,

I think you would be better off staying in Doolin. I stayed there during July and I really enjoyed it. Its real rural Ireland. There is great atmosphere in the evening with live music. I stayed in a beautiful Hotel called Hotel Doolin. It was out of this word. Staff were so friendly and the design was fab. I got it for a very reasonable price. You should look it up. There is also beautiful restaurants in doolin such as Cullins which is across the road from Hotel Doolin. Bunratty is lovely I went to the banquet before your kids will really enjoy it.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doolin instead of Ennis?

Doolin will be ideal for jetlag recovery, and enjoying live trad music. Tiny village it is, but the fact there are 3 active pubs with daily venues, 4 youth hostels, and countless B&Bs tells you something: it's a very good spot to spend a night. Or three : ) I have found McGanns and McDermotts to be the best pubs, personnally. O'Connor ... well it caters well for tourists, that's all I can say.

If you intend to bring some Irish music back home, your very best spot (in Ireland) is the Magnetic Music store, "the last one before America", near the little bridge. Incredible choice, and it doubles as a B&B and coffee place, with a patio. Excellent coffee BTW. If the owner is on site, he will be an excellent source of advice, should you need it, musicwise.

5. Re: Doolin instead of Ennis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 09, 2009