We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland self drive

Which Doolin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new orleans
Level Contributor
146 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland self drive

I am planning a trip to Ireland in Oct or Nov (how is the weatherfor driving as I have been to England and driven in snow) I need advise on air/fly/drive packages please. We would like to stay for 2 weeks and use B&B and maybe one stay at a castle. I also would like to go to Northern Ireland from the south of Ireland with the car that we hire. Can ya'll advise me on the time of year, the crowds, the weahter, etc. I havent been to Ireland in 20 yrs and I only went to Dublin. Thank you all.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland self drive

Driving at that time of year will be ok, there shouldn't be any snow or frost but the way the weather has been recently.... We rarely get any frost till after Christmas in the southern part of the island, might be a bit in the north by November. There will almost certainly be some rain but its hard to say how much. The days will be quite short -dusk by about 5 or 6. Tourism is fairly quiet by that time of year, there won't be any crowds, though there is always heavy traffic at rush hour times in most big towns and cities.

People who have used them will give you better information on packages, but generally the feeling is you get much better value and freedom by booking your own flights, hiring a car and arranging your accommodatiom. TA will give you advice on routes when we have an idea of your itinerary. The idea of B&B vouchers gets a mixed reception, but on balance the feeling seems to be, don't bother.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland self drive

Hello,

I am also in the process of booking a Ireland trip for Oct. I researched many packages before ultimately deciding to do our own thing.

I would check Sceptre Tours, good flight prices. There "Emerald Package" allows you to book air/car and open B&B vouchures so you can still pick and choose where to stay. We didn't go this route but only because I found good airfare alone.

You can also upgrade to a castle one night....The packages are the cheapest way to go, but I like to control exactly where to stay.

If you find good air on your own I would check AutoEurope for a car-cheaper than the car companys direct and they allow you to pick up in one city and drop in another free. (We are flying into Shannon and out of Dublin).

B&B rates are very good for this time of year, I haven't had any trouble finding good rates for the places I want to stay.

Hope this helps...

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland self drive

i agree with what doneraile said....

don't pay someone to plan a trip for you....you can do it all yourself...just get online buy your tickets, rent your car, and get your accommodations....

you won't necessarily need to book rooms ahead, but of course you will need to see which b&bs are open in october and november....

and as was said, you will get tons of help on here, all you have to do is ask.....and the help will come....just remember what was said about the short days and plan accordingly.....

4. Re: Ireland self drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, September 06, 2009