We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking guides

Which Dunfanaghy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Walking guides

We have rented a cottage for a week in August in Dunfanaghy. Please can somebody recommend a good walking guide for this area.

9 replies to this topic
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking guides

Hello my Soller Friend!

To get you started - www.walkingireland.ie/section-2.aspx…

http://www.letswalkdonegal.com/

and if you are feeling less energetic - heres one for the car! http://www.navigatour.ie/Donegal_Live.html I remember an article on TV last year regarding this and it seemed a great resource for any visitors to Donegal

Hope you have a wonderful time :-)

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking guides

Hello LittlePumpkin - it's a small world!

Many thanks for the links - we were struggling to find anything.

I have high hopes of Donegal being very nice - but not as nice as Soller, of course!

Irish in...
Level Contributor
309 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking guides

Look at the Donegal section of discoverireland.ie where you will find a selection of walks. discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/the-…

I would really recommend a trip to Tory Island too - you can get a boat from near Dunfanaghy. discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/tory…

Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking guides

discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/mcsw…

Dont miss this loop walk while staying in Dunfanaghy! Try to time it for when the tide is comming in with a SW wind.. the blow hole is spectacular in the right conditions!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking guides

McSwyne's Gun Loop Walk might be of interest. Details here:

discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/mcsw…

And, Donegal Direct has a Walking Section:

http://www.donegaldirect.com/

Dhun na nGall...
Level Contributor
120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking guides

Hi,

You def have to climb Muckish on a clear day for lovely views! Will take less than 2hrs going up and less than 1hr coming down, there's even an old footbal pitch on top of it if your still feeling energetic!

Take a picnic and spend the day in the forrest park, 4 euro to take a car in, theres a beach, a large green area for ball games etc, lots of paths in through the forrest and along the coast! Def a big hit for us locals!

If you have timed your stay right our local festival (Creeslough and Kildarragh Fairs) are usually held the 2nd weekend in August and its a week of events raising money for local charities! Everything from 5k walks to Charity auctions, old fair days and plenty of entertaining. There is also an organised hill walk as part of the fair.

Dunfanaghy, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking guides

There is a booklet of local history, culture, scenery etc which has detailed descriptions of 8 walks in the Dunfanaghy area, called Rambles and Ramblings of a Blow-In. It's available in the village or from the author, at Corcreggan Mill Hostel/B&B.

Derry
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking guides

I believe the owner of the Corcreggan Mill Hostel offers tours and is a qualified Tour guide in Dunfanaghy - As the review above says - He wrote the book!!

call him at the Corcreggan Mill Hostel

Better still stay at the hostel - I found it excellent value and SPOTLESS!

Guildhall123

Derry
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking guides

Yes I went to meet up with the owner of the Hostel and ended staying three nights in this most magnificent Hostel/B&B.

I booked into Brendan's walks for two of the days and It made our holiday special.

Just call to the Hostel a friendly reception awaits!

Edited: 3:06 pm, December 30, 2012
Reply to: Walking guides
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dunfanaghy