We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More than golf at Dromoland Castle?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
491 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
More than golf at Dromoland Castle?

We are already booked for our final night in Ireland at Dromoland Castle. Been reading up lots about our entire trip and are now re-thinking our decision to stay in this castle hotel. We are not golfers and we are now wondering what we will do with our time here. If it's just to sit and read, we can do that at a nice b&b or hotel too. We probably won't do the formal dining room for dinner either as a jacket and tie won't be part of my husband's traveling clothes. Can anyone who has stayed here, and not been interested in golf, enlighten us on other activities here. We know it is supposed to be all about the surroundings and the "experience" of staying in a castle but we will probably be there for about 20 hours including sleeping and just don't know if it is the right place to stay anymore. For us, it will be an expensive investment that we want to make sure is truly the right way to go.

10 replies to this topic
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More than golf at Dromoland Castle?

There are lots of other activities available at Dromoland :

http://www.dromoland.ie/activities.html

but if none of them appeal to you . . . .

As for staying in a "castle" as with many "castle hotels", it's more like a grand country house than castle with fortifications etc. I've not stayed, only popped in to have a look, see if it's the sort of place I'd like to stay someday. Personally, there are other things (activities) I'd prefer to spend my money on.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,607 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More than golf at Dromoland Castle?

What do You feel you want from your stay..There are other options, other top rate hotels, Castle stays or Manor stays, Then the rest of your itinerary and interests as already said there is no reason to stay in a castle Hotel if its just for the sake of staying in a castle Hotel.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More than golf at Dromoland Castle?

Is it just to be close to Shannon?

There's plenty of quality rooms available in the Shannon area if you won't be taking advantage of Dromoland's facilities.

What are your interests?

Mooghaun Hill Fort is nearby Dromoland, and free to visit...as is Quin Abbey - plus there are great dining options in Bunratty / Shannon if you want something more casual.

Airventure in Shannon is great for anyone with an interest in aircraft and more recent history, and there's shopping in Ballycasey Craft Centre and Bunratty Mills (or Limerick which is further afield.)

Craggaunowen and Knappogue are also worth a visit.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
491 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More than golf at Dromoland Castle?

We aren't going to have a car. We will taxi from Bunratty Castle Hotel (or Shannon Airport) to the Dromoland Castle and back to the airport for an early morning flight the next day. We thought we wanted this for the 'experience' but not sure what that will be now. Is there a lot of walking or exploring the grounds to do? Horseback riding sounded nice but it seems its not located right there either so we wouldn't want to leave right after getting there. Decisions, decisions....thank you for the input.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More than golf at Dromoland Castle?

The grounds are lovely, deer roam about at night and there's more casual fare in the club (if you go look out for the ancient piers of Lemanagh castle at the entry to the walled garden.) Enjoy!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More than golf at Dromoland Castle?

I'd stay at Oakwood Arms hotel if I wanted to be near Shannon airport : only 5-minute drive and with a petrol station next door for that all-important refuelling stop. I stayed there last summer with my children in a family room - it was Huge. We had a nice pub supper at the hotel; the ladies who work in the pub serving on the tables were delightful: so welcoming and friendly.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More than golf at Dromoland Castle?

@ ali123travels

Sorry - didn't see your latest post before I wrote mine. So are your current plans to stay 1 night at Bunratty Castle Hotel, and 1 night at Dromoland??

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,607 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More than golf at Dromoland Castle?

Turn that round Have penultimate night in Dromoland and last night in Bunratty...what is the point in paying Dromoland prices to leave before the breakfast chief has clocked in?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
491 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: More than golf at Dromoland Castle?

Yes, that's another reason why we are reconsidering our Dromoland Castle stay. From the info we found, breakfast starts at 7:30am (we have breakfast included with the room), but our flight is at 11am. Not sure we'll have time.

As for switching the nights, that would be great but we are confirmed on a short tour in the middle of our travels and Bunratty Castle Hotel is included on the last night of the tour. Unfortunately switching around won't work with what we already have set.

Guess we'll have to really give it all some thought. We wanted the end of this wonderful trip to be a highlight before heading home (and back to work - LOL). Maybe we'll just try the CarryGerry Country House or some other one that has been suggested in the area. Just don't want it to be a let down since we added an extra night on purpose. Now we can't fly home early without major charges. Thanks again all for the suggestions.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,488 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: More than golf at Dromoland Castle?

CarryGerry Country House had been highly recommended to us for our first trip but we decided just to stay in Ennis for the last night as we had already spent a few other nights there and were trying to minimize our one night stays. From what I remember (so this could be incorrect), there isn't much within walking distance to Carrygerry Country House so dinner options may be limited outside of staying in (which does look lovely).

Have you pondered just staying another night at Bunratty Castle Hotel? It is only 7 miles away from the airport. That way you won't have a (or another) one night stay at the end of your trip and you can be a bit settled before your trip home.

If the outdoor activiites do not appeal to you at Dromoland, and you will miss the breakfast, I really don't see the need to spend that kind of money for a one night stay (but that is my humble opinion only). :-) Good luck with your decision!

Reply to: More than golf at Dromoland Castle?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted