We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Submerged Blessington Village

leeds
1 post
Save Topic
Submerged Blessington Village

I am a member of a UK Scuba Diving Club and I am looking for interesting sites to dive. During a recent stay in Blessington it was mentioned to me that the original village was now submerged under the lake. Is this correct and if so what are the possibilities of a group of us being able to dive there? Any help/information would be appreciated.

Regards

Frank Howarth

Howarthfrank@aol.com

Clare
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Submerged Blessington Village

farank

This a very interesting question!

With the construction of a dam at Poulaphuca, a large reservoir was created within the upper stretches of the River Liffey in Co. Wicklow. The reservoir was designed to supply water to Dublin city and provide additional electricity supply to the national grid. As the water levels of the reservoir gradually rose in 1940 it submerged over 5000 acres of farmland and bog, as well as the homes of some 70 families. Occasionally, as in 1978, the waters of the reservoir fall far enough that the walls of the houses, the piers of the bridges and the track of the old bohreens become visible once again. Some of the people who lived in the area as children are still alive today.

The lake is extremely dangerous and so all water sports, baring fishing and rowing are banned on the lake.

Basically there are serious under currents, bottom half moves at something like 2.5 times the top half (may not be accurate) but also there are a lot of what you may call swallow holes. Basically parts of the ground often give way where air rises extremely quickly and creates a vortex so to speak that literally drags you down.

Sorry I couldn't give you good news.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Submerged Blessington Village

Watersports are not 'banned' on the lake! There is a very popular family sailing club, Blessington Sailing Club, www.bsc.ie, in the area and the lakes are also popular for fishing, boating, waterskiing and lots more!

Blesso
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Submerged Blessington Village

Try www.blsc.ie for the Sailing Club !

4. Re: Submerged Blessington Village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, September 11, 2009