We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can we do?

Which Ballybunion hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Yorks, England
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What can we do?

Hiya, I am going to Ballybunion with my husband for 1 week in early July. Neither of us golf, but would quite like a go if we could find somewhere that catered for complete beginers! The nearest we ever got was crazy golf and we failed dismally at that. Is there anywhere we could have a go, perhaps with someone to help us where we wouldn't get in any serious golfers way?

Also, which is the best pubs for music? We are staying on Main Street so hoping to have good nights in the pub, but we will have our old dog with us, are they allowed in any pubs?

Thanks, any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can we do?

http://www.golfeurope.com/clubs/ballybunion/

Ballybunion Golf Club is world renowned and has gold instructor on stand by. You must book them 14 days in advance. I am not privvy to the prices.

Across the road from the car park is the driving range and practice green.

The golf course is fantastic. Up the other end of the town is the Police station with a statue of Former US President Bill Clinton with a golf club in his hand. Im not sure whether the golf ball was returned. Somebody crowbarred it off a couple of months ago.

There is essentially only one real street in the place and loe and behold its called "Main Street". LOL.

All the pubs are good for music during high season. You can but miss the pubs for music. They will all have signs outside of the place.

One word of advice. Ballybunion is a little dangerous and I live on a council estate. Most of the summer residents are down from Limerick and Cork and stay in their summer homes or mobile homes by the majority.

But you are no fool. You will spot them a mile off. They generally frequent two pubs to which I cannot name but you will see them from a long distance away.

On a lighter note, its a beautiful place with an amazing beach. Down on the beach front you can even have a seaweed bath. Its a blue flag beach and has some very nice cliff walks.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can we do?

Unless you're an experienced golfer there really isn't any point of going to Ballybunion Golf Club for an introduction to the game. It'd be akin to putting on your L plates and taking driving lessons at Silverstone ;-) Quality links courses like Ballybunion are not easy at the best of times, as well I'm guessing any instruction from a club pro there would be quite expensive. Down the road in Listowel there's a tamer course in a nice settings that winds past the river and they may indeed have instruction there, but I couldn't say for certain.

Enjoy your trip.

South Yorks, England
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can we do?

Thanks both for the advice! Will keep well away from the Ballybunion Golf Course and maybe just chill out. Ballybunion sounds an interesting place though, we dont need much just somewhere nice to eat , drink and sleep!

We are going on to Dungarvan for a week after do you know it? It sounds very quiet but hopefully there will be one or two pubs?

To make you smile - the last time we came to Ireland we went out early and wondered why all the pubs were so quiet, we didn't realise until we got back that the pubs only started warming up after we had gone home for the night!!! This time we are prepared, and will be taking afternoon naps.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can we do?

Hi Rosie. Rest up. Lol. Dungarvan is a great town. I'm hoping to see someone from there tonight. If you want to splure a bit, check out tannery.ie. Cheers.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What can we do?

Heinz(57?)- That guy, who I'll see by Friday, is a scratch golfer, so I'll ask. I wonder a bit about a week there though. If you don't mind my asking, what are your plans? Dungarvan is nice, with the river area and the town area. There are a good mixture of pubs. It is convenient for day trips too. I just wonder if you could also enjoy another place. Come to think about it, I was thinking the same about Ballybunion. Your call of course, but most would stay South of there for Dingle, Beara and Ring of Kerry. Cheers.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What can we do?

Hello again. Well, as it turns out, he's in Ireland playing golf. I'll keep this in mind though for when he gets back. Cheers.

South Yorks, England
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What can we do?

Thanks for the info, we didn't really have too much time to plan!

We just decided to go and then made our choice of where to stay based on cottages that were available at short notice, that would take a dog, not too many steps and near to beach and pubs! Its all booked now so fingers crossed it will all work out!

We have been once before and went North up the coast so hope to do lots of day trips round Dingle etc, but not sure where yet - any ideas? To be honest we are not as fit as we once were, so easy days out and a good pub at night will suit us.

Does your firend know how far the Marine at Dungarvan is from Ardmore? And are there any buses or taxi's that would get us there and back at night?

Cheers

Rosie

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What can we do?

Oh okay. I will find out before July, I assure ya. :-). If you are starters, a local Waterford golf place would be fine. That'd give you more time around Kerry. I was in a couple of good pubs last year in Dungarvan. I told him about it, and he'll remember the names. There is no shortage. Check out aaroadwatch.ie/routes. It says 1hr.19 minutes. That's about right. AA can be off with their times where traffic can be a problem, but that shouldn't apply there. Their directions are good. In a bit of a rush, but I'll keep you in mind. Cheers.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What can we do?

Quickly, search in Ireland forums for Dingle, Ring of Kerry, Beara Peninsula, Killarney National Park, Rock of Cashel, Cahir, The Vee and Kilkenny. If you're near there already, go to Waterford crystal. From Kerry to Waterford you'll see many nice towns in West Cork, which probably won't give you much time to see Cork. You could backtrack to Cork, Cobh and Kinsale from Waterford. Cheers.

10. Re: What can we do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Ballybunion