We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Night/Day in Bunratty

flint
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1 Night/Day in Bunratty

My husband, my 2 children and I will be arriving in Dublin on December 20th and are heading to Bunratty. I know it will be dark early so that leaves us with nothing much to *see* on Friday evening. We are thinking of gettting up early Saturday, visiting the castle then heading to the Cliffs and plan to be on our way to Westport in the afternoon. Is this doable??

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Night/Day in Bunratty

Absolutely and easily, if you have access to Aladdin's lamp and three time warp wishes.Seriously, why start your trip in overdrive? Much of the fun is in leaving breathing spaces allowing portions of any day to come to you. Don't try to "do" too much too fast.

Edited: 10:46 am, August 26, 2013
flint
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Night/Day in Bunratty

We are visiting family for Christmas and need to be in Derry by Sunday evening so we only have 2 days.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,676 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Night/Day in Bunratty

What in particular do you want to do in Bunratty, if you don't mind my asking?

If Bunratty is essential, would you consider flying into Shannon Airport and out of Dublin, if that's an option?

If you are looking to indulge in Christmas activities for the children, Dublin will be a good bet:

http://www.visitdublin.com/events/Christmas/

The Christmas lights will be turned on in stages in Dublin from the end of November onwards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pK9O2FJqGA

You could substitute Slieve League in Donegal for The Cliffs of Moher, no problem. Weather permitting, of course for this and all of your trip:

http://slieveleaguecliffs.ie

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,676 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Night/Day in Bunratty

Apologies - you've already said what it is you want to see and do in Bunratty.

This may be of interest for Westport:

westporthouse.ie/events-calendar/…

flint
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Night/Day in Bunratty

We've already booked our flights to Dublin...

Nothing is set in stone..don't have to visit bunratty or the cliffs but my dad has many memories at bunratty castle and begs me to visit every time we go to Ireland ;)

I thought the kids may enjoy the castle/folk park and we'd like to visit the cliffs. We visited the slieve cliffs last year (breathtaking!!).

We have a friend in Westport that offered us a place to stay on our way through so that's why we are detouring there.

We are landing in Dublin early Friday morning (the 20th) and would like to be in Derry by Sunday night. We will probably make a day out of Dublin on our return.

Is there another route you would recommend taking for a nice detour from Dublin to Derry?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,528 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Night/Day in Bunratty

Bunratty can be LOVELY at Christmas. They have Christmas lights up and sometimes Santa visits and if the weather is benign it is like a wonderland.

HOWEVER the weather can be inclement and there is ALWAYS the risk of ice or snow, even if its a very small risk of snow. But you can never be sure.

The road from Dublin to Bunratty is EXCELLENT. Pretty much motorway or motorway type all the way. But be prepared for delays. Friday evenings are always slow evenings on the roads, moreso at this time of year. But its very manageable. I would suggest you consider eating in Limerick that evening. We have a great range of restaurants, the Christmas lights will be up and it will be beautiful.

Depending on what time you arrive in, thinking on my feet here, it might be worth a consideration to head straight to Bunratty. Normally Santa visits in the afternoon and the lights will be much nicer and visible as the light fades. It is less than 3 hours from Dublin Airport to Bunratty and the traffic will be easier during the day. Would you consider this?

Regarding the Cliffs - if its very wet or very windy or foggy consider missing them. The Cliffs have been closed to public access on previous occasions because of the dangers associated with high winds and high cliffs. And if its wet or misty, its just like being in a cold outdoor shower.

Galway to Westport takes 90 - 100 minutes. Bunratty to Galway takes about 50 minutes.

I would suggest you try to be flexible about the Cliffs and as mentioned try to see Bunratty on the day you arrive.

Have a lovely holiday.

flint
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Night/Day in Bunratty

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions! We arrive in Dublin at 6:50 am, plan to get our car and head straight to bunratty. We will need to catch a few hours of sleep before we head to the castle as we will have been traveling overnight. I know that it gets dark around 4:30 so we won't have much daylight..we will play it by eat!

flint
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Night/Day in Bunratty

Play it by ear, ha!

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Night/Day in Bunratty

Additional to Santa, Bunratty has a themed dinner experience "Christmas at Bunratty" which is actually less costly than their regular medieval themed dinners. There is a wonderful film clip with sounds of the choral singers and shows the dinner etc on the Bunratty website so you can get a feel for what to experience. It looks wonderful!

Enjoy!

Sunny

10. Re: 1 Night/Day in Bunratty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, September 02, 2013