We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Dingle Peninsula from Bunratty?

Baltimore
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip to Dingle Peninsula from Bunratty?

Hi! I'm going to be staying in Bunratty Castle, Co. Clare for 2 nights in October. We were thinking of taking a day trip to Dingle on the 2nd day, driving back to Bunratty at night. Is it worth it to make this trip, or will our time be better served doing something else?

P.S. On our first day, we were considering venturing out to see the Cliffs of Moher, exploring Galway, and/or visiting Adare. Suggestions of what would be the best destinations to fit into our 2 days would be greatly appreciated!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,661 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Dingle Peninsula from Bunratty?

I adore Dingle, but to be honest, days are shorter in October and you'd want a good early start to make the most of the trip.What about heading to south West Clare the other day?Loop Head, the dolphins in the Shannon etc?

Edited: 6:08 pm, October 04, 2011
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,296 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Dingle Peninsula from Bunratty?

I agree with Harvey

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Dingle Peninsula from Bunratty?

Agree completely with Loop Head instead.

BTW, you are staying at Bunratty Castle HOTEL not the castle!

Edited: 8:40 pm, October 04, 2011
County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Dingle Peninsula from Bunratty?

In agreement wiith the other replies.

Baltimore
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Dingle Peninsula from Bunratty?

Thanks for the replies! So if I understand correctly, we should make the trip to Dingle, but make sure we get an early start. On the other day, go to Loop Head instead of the other destinations listed?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,296 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Dingle Peninsula from Bunratty?

No, I think the advice is that you do Loop Head instead of the Dingle Peninsula

Bunratty to Dingle will take 2.5 - 3 hours - longer if you take it at the leisurely pace it deserves. Allowing for a 1.5 hour stop in Dingle to eat and wander about, and a further 2 hours for the Slea Head drive west of the town; this is a 9-10 hour day.

Sun rises at 8am and sets at 6pm in late October - so you have less than 10 hours of daylight

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,152 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Dingle Peninsula from Bunratty?

I would definitely not consider a day trip to Dingle from Bunratty. There are plenty of things to do much closer to Bunratty.

You have mentioned Galway on the first day, but if you are going to do the Burren and Cliffs of Moher on that day, I would leave Galway for the second day.

You could just head from Bunratty to Galway on the motorway and enjoy a day exploring the city at your leisure.

Edited: 3:39 pm, October 06, 2011
8. Re: Day trip to Dingle Peninsula from Bunratty?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, November 07, 2012