We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish Times on Bunratty

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Irish Times on Bunratty

Here's a feature on Bunratty & its banquet for anyone considering the possibility:

irishtimes.com/newspaper/…1224254836699.html

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Irish Times on Bunratty

Hi Ferdia,

Thanks for the link. I'll be in the area next week and love Bunratty... Didn't have dinner there as it would be @ $90 USD to do so. I think that is the reason most American tourists have dwindled.

I did have dinner at Knappogue in 2001, and I have to admit it was a very nice evening. Americans traveling to Ireland these days are looking for bargains. I'm very lucky to have family that I can stay with (and they stay with me in the states) which helps very much.

One of my favorite photos is of my then 7 year old daughter, at the top of Bunratty Castle with the Shannon Estuary behind her on a blustery February day (but sunny). She is now 20 years old!

The article brought back a lot of nice memories. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Bunratty Castle
Bunratty Castle
3,562 Reviews
Bunratty, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Irish Times on Bunratty

Ouch NM - that is pricey - I just had a look online and found:

Rates

Normal rates 01 April 2009 - March 31st 2010 are

Adult: €59.95 Child 9 -12yrs: €44.95, Child 6-9yrs €29.95, Child 0-5 yrs €0

Online Booking Rates

Adult €50.00, Child 9-12yrs €32.00, Child 6-9yrs €24.00, Child 0-5 yrs €0

You're right - perhaps they should find ways of making the banquet more affordable.

Having those photos certainly endears a place:)

Knappogue and the village of Quin (the abbey is very linked to Knappogue) is a special place, you might find this interesting:

clarelibrary.ie/eolas/…quininterest.htm

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Irish Times on Bunratty

Thanks for the on-line prices. Still it would cost $75 USD to attend. Not sure if I want to do that at this time. Going to Kilarney for the first time on this trip. Any one thing not to "miss"? Will be traveling with my cousin so I don't know how flex my schedule will be. I'm LOVE Irish trad music.

I still love the Bunratty village. Not sure if I'm going to get out that way this trip however. Thanks also for the other link. I will look it up now.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Irish Times on Bunratty

For Killarney NM?

Well, Ross castle instead of Bunratty.

heritageireland.ie/en/South-West/RossCastle/

For Trad, maybe:

http://www.killarneygrand.com/

For views, this link is handy:

www.killarney.ac/dropdown/ladiesview.html

Bean & Tony will give you much better ideas, if you post again in the Killarney forum.

I hope the plans are going well, and I agree, Bunratty itself would be not worth the detour!

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Irish Times on Bunratty

You might find this ROK article useful:

irishtimes.com/newspaper/…1229728549542.html

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,316 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Irish Times on Bunratty

great article ferdia...thanks for sharing it with us...

i just had an ireland planning meeting yesterday with 3 friends of mine....and while they love the idea of the ceili that aren't sure they want to spend that much money for one dinner....lol....

we will have to see....i think maybe the oakwood arms or gallaghers will do very nicely for a nice dinner, or luncheon.......

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
271 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Irish Times on Bunratty

Am leaving for Ireland tomorrow!!!! We (3 couples/cousins) are staying in Adare Manor Villas and have booked Bunratty Banquet for a 50th birthday.

My experience 8 years ago was so wonderful and very worth the money and I am sure that it will be a great place to celebrate John's birthday. Will post a report when we get back!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Adare Manor
Adare Manor
1,527 Reviews
Adare, Ireland
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
271 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Irish Times on Bunratty

As promised, have recently returned from Ireland and once again found the Medieval Banquet to be one of the highlights of our trip. We were a party of 8 and especially enjoyed the professionalism of the musicians and singers. We are still laughing about my cousin's husband being thrown in the dungeon for

flirting with the young maidens (I had assured the staff that he would be very entertaining, if chosen).

The food is fine with plenty to eat and drink...try getting dinner and a show in New York for $75.00! The banquet room was filled to capacity with mostly Americans so it seems that people are still looking to enjoy a unique experience in a castle in Ireland.

Mentioned in this post
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,316 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Irish Times on Bunratty

i sent an email to brian o'connell and thanked him for his article....he sent a very nice thank you and said they (bunratty) are reviewing their exorbitant prices for next summer, he wonders way they don't do it now....lol....

he agreed also with the rip off of the rental car companies and said he hoped by next summer that they would get a dose of realism ....

Annapolis
Level Contributor
131 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Irish Times on Bunratty

I had dinner at Bunratty last week. There are coupons for 20% off all over the place. When we called and made the reservation, we told them we had the coupon. They never asked for it when we arrived.