We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last night in Ireland-great place to end trip?

Which Bunratty hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Last night in Ireland-great place to end trip?

We (2 couples) will be staying in the Bunratty/Shannon area the last 2 nights of our trip, and I would love to stay somewhere special. Unfortunately, we can't afford the 200-300 euros to stay at Dromoland Castle, but I would like to stay somewhere (charming, not sterile) to end our trip.

I've been reading posts on TA and would love some input or new suggestions. These are some places that I'm considering.

Bunratty Castle Mews

Bunratty Manor

Bunratty Lodge

Avarest B&B

I've posted a few questions on TA, and (though I know you experts are told this all the time) it's so great to have your help.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Last night in Ireland-great place to end trip?

Out of that bunch Bunratty Lodge is my personal favorite. A close second is Headley Court. Both of them are over a mile or so from the village.

What are YOUR requirements for accommodations? Bunratty Manor is right in the village. If you want to walk to everything you might choose it instead.

I stayed at Bunratty Castle Mews aons ago before the nuns bought it as Cecilia Lodge so cannot comment on the new place or owners. I am sure it has been completely done up since then. Maybe someone who has stayed recently will add their comment.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last night in Ireland-great place to end trip?

dromoland castle was doing an offer recently for a bed and breakfast at 90 Euro per night. You should check that out.

Also negotiate a price with them if you want to stay there. The hotels in ireland are now opening its doors to all kinds of commoners in a hasty bid to keep their doors open. I would call and negotiate.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last night in Ireland-great place to end trip?

"some places that I'm considering."

Bunratty Castle Mews

About a half mile from Bunratty, along the Low road. A bit heavy on the garden decor, but appears to be a nice place.

Bunratty Manor

Right in Bunratty village, nice modern building with a lovely restaurant and great hosts.

Bunratty Lodge

In Deer Park, a handy drive to Bunratty and Shannon on the Sixmilebridge road.

Avarest B&B

Midway between Shannon town and Bunratty village, in Clonmoney....lovely property in a country setting, yet just off the dual carraigeway.

If you can get that rate for Dromoland (I think that might be pp?) for a single night stay...RUN WITH IT. It's a great property.

I don't entirely believe some of the reviews here on the Bunratty page, so read between the lines, and another good option in the Courtyard, as it's the onlt B&B in Bunratty village, and like all the others (you won't go wrong with any)- just outside Shannon town/airport.

Texas
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last night in Ireland-great place to end trip?

Walking or driving is not a problem. We'd walk or drive for 15 or 20 minutes from Shannon Airport if it's a lovely place. I will call Dromoland to check out the "commoner's" rates. Thanks for the tip.

I appreciate the caution to read between the lines. They all get almost glowing reviews, so I'll scrutinize them a bit more.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Last night in Ireland-great place to end trip?

I have stayed at The Courtyard, Bunratty Lodge and Headley Court. I will not return to The Courtyard. I will stay again at either Bunratty Lodge or Headley Court.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last night in Ireland-great place to end trip?

Yes, both Headley and Bunratty lodge are very attractive properties, in a lovely setting with great hosts- very convenient for a last night in the general Shannon town / Bunratty area.

I tend to go with their reviews here on TA.

Sally, you probably have your reasons, but any chance you'd review the Courtyard?

(I will have another look in case that you have already reviewed the Courtyard:)

I often recommend it when I think the guest wants to be within walking distance of pubs etc- but obviously I have not been a guest, and can only go on its appearance, location- and reviews from posters such as Sarnia, Wattogogirl and Oma, who've all given it the thumbs up.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Last night in Ireland-great place to end trip?

Ferdia, I have my own personal reasons for not posting reviews under the different accommodations on TA. I would rather interact on the forum instead.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes about any accommodation. People have their own experiences also. For me there were too many negatives about The Courtyard for me to recommend it. I would rather stay at places that meet all my requirements. I am rather exacting. I try to choose superior accommodations when I can.

8. Re: Last night in Ireland-great place to end trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:25 am, October 22, 2009