We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Update - Dreadful Mosquito Outbreak in Bunratty

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Topic
Need Update - Dreadful Mosquito Outbreak in Bunratty

Hello locals who are in Bunratty right now. I was reading reviews on Trip Advisor and someone posted about a terrible mosquito incident that greatly affected them and left them all bitten up at a Bunratty B&B. They gave the B&B a mixed review because of what happened. I am wondering if this is fact or fiction?

I have never personally seen or been bitten by a misquito in Ireland. I have been bitten by midges but they are extremely tiny and completely different from misquitoes. Can you update me on the Bunratty mosquito outbreak? Is it because of all the rain this summer? Any reason why there are no window screens in Ireland?

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,412 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Update - Dreadful Mosquito Outbreak in Bunratty

Hi Sally. Plenty of midges, but I don't think the B&B - it is that time of year - (yes I read the review) suffers beyond the norm in Irish context - unless they grow an unusual plant species - somewhat amused by the review - ouch!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Update - Dreadful Mosquito Outbreak in Bunratty

There have been quite a few mozzies around recently but to have a plague of them there must have been some stagnant water around - not necessarily in the control of the B&B.

It is very unlikely that they will be a problem from now on as the weather has turned cooler. They don't carry malaria and just the use of a citrus mosquito repellant will keep them away and the midges too.

The reason we don't have window screen s is because we don't have enough bugs to make it worth while, and we don't want to cut out any of the rare sun with screens.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,748 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Update - Dreadful Mosquito Outbreak in Bunratty

There are mozzies in the Limerick-Shannon Region. They are not disease carriers BUT can cause allergies in susceptible people. There seem to be more of them about recently, because we rarely have frosts to kill them off. I've noticed summer insects much later into the winter in the past few years.

I haven't read the review, but there are areas of stagnant water in the Bunratty area (the ponds in the folk park for example).

If people are worried, Citronella is widely available in local pharmacies. It is non toxic and some of us even like the smell.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,412 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Update - Dreadful Mosquito Outbreak in Bunratty

Bean - that B&B is a couple of miles from the folk park, although there is a little river (not stagnant) along low road that resurfaces at that location, and another small pond in a neighbouring property.

The B&B has nice mature gardens - so apart from that, there's nothing plausable to a 'dreadful mosquito outbreak' - reveiwer just happened to be there on one of those days where there was a lot of midges about, and as you mentioned, may have had an allergic reaction . Unfortunate for B&B - as it appears to be a well run operation.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,748 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Update - Dreadful Mosquito Outbreak in Bunratty

Thanks Ferdia. I've finally located the review.

I've read the review with interest - as someone who reacts badly to mozzie bites. My GP reckons that if you live within a mile of water - any type of fresh water - then you are likely to encounter them. The water itself may be running but there are always areas nearby that are damp and may encourage them.

It just seemed that the individual concerned was very unlucky. A trick we have learned, is to leave a light on in a bathroom and the door a chink open. That way the mozzies stay in the area of the light and away from the humans.

Other than the Irish Government refusing to issue Visas to Mozzies, I don't think much more could be done!!

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Update - Dreadful Mosquito Outbreak in Bunratty

Thanks for all the expert comments about the Bunratty mosquitoes. When I read the review I thought it was slightly exagerated. I do know that there are insects that look like very large mosquitoes in Ireland but they do not bite. Generally they are near lakes. I find that they usually make their way into my room if I leave a light on and the window open. Since I leave the light on in my hotel or B&B bathroom overnight I have learned to close the window.

I always thought it would be a good idea for B&Bs and hotels to have small night lights in the rooms. That way I would not have to leave the bathroom light on and waste energy. (Cannot stand the pitch dark.) However I have never seen a night light in Ireland even when I went shopping for one.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Update - Dreadful Mosquito Outbreak in Bunratty

The Irish mozzies look very much like tropical mozzies and they bite just the same - as my blistered skin proves every summer. So far they don't pass on malaria but maybe global warming will change that eventually. Apparently though its only the females that bite, the males apparently stay outside as they don't need the feed of blood! Or something. Don't use that fact in a thesis.

The 'very big' insects may be craneflies or daddylonglegs - but they are really ginormous compared with mosquitoes. They don't bite.

The night light idea is a good one, you can buy little lights that plug straight into a socket, they are intended for nurseries so you could get one in a 'baby shop'.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
660 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Update - Dreadful Mosquito Outbreak in Bunratty

Being originally from Washington State we do big mosquitoes up there!

They just want a bit of blood. No sense being stingy :)

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Update - Dreadful Mosquito Outbreak in Bunratty

Just back from south west Ireland. Was told by locals-there are no mosquitos. Have small flying insects that look like them but ate "midgits"(couldn't understand accent) and they do not bite..

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Update - Dreadful Mosquito Outbreak in Bunratty

A lot of Irish people wouldn't know a mosquito if it bit them! Sorry. Yes I have been told there are not any, but there are, and insect experts (whatever they are called) say there are several distinct types. I have seen (and beeen bitten by) mozzies, and have seen their larvae in water. The 'midgets' are midges and they also bite. Midges don't tend to come indoors though, you would really only be bitten if you go in places with vegetation.