We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver in Cavan

Edgewater, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Driver in Cavan

Is it possible to hire a driver and car for a day in Cavan. We will be staying in Cavan Town and do not want to rent a self drive car to visit surrounding towns to do some genealogy research. I have contacted the tourist board, and they answered "Have a good time in Cavan doing research".

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver in Cavan

On TA we aim to please everyone, but would need some more information ie: how many people, when are you thinking of visiting and where do you wish to go in County Cavan to carry out your genealogy research.

Edgewater, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver in Cavan

There are two of us and we will be in Cavan Town for a week in July, 2013. We are interested in going to Graddam,Bailieborough, Kilnaleck, Ballyjamesduff and Drumbar. I have been to Cavan town before, but did not have time to visit these places where my ancestors lived. Thank you

Ireland
Level Contributor
587 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver in Cavan

It may be possible to arrange a hire with one of the several taxi companies in Cavan Town. I use Kelly's of Bridge Street (00353-49-4332876) on occasion but only as an ordinary taxi service and find them friendly and efficient. I do not know if they or any of the other taxi companies would hire a car with a driver for the day. The cost could quite likely run to several hundred euro for the day. A suggestion I would offer is that it would likely be a lot cheaper to cover at least some places by bus or partways by bus. Public transport in Co. Cavan has been significantly improved in recent years, services are reliable and coaches generally modern giving good views not obtainable from a car or taxi.

For instance, the bus service to Ballyjamesduff was very significantly improved last year and it's easy enough to travel there from Cavan by taking a Dublin bus to Virginia and then a route 187 from Virginia to Ballyjamesduff.

Likewise Graddam and Kilnaleck may be cheaper to access by taking a bus from Cavan to Ballinagh and a taxi from Ballinagh onwards. Route 111 links Cavan and Ballinagh. There are several buses a day between Kells and Bailieboro.

Another suggestion may to be to stay most of the week in Cavan but also a night in one or both of Bailieboro and Ballyjamesduff.

Just in case you want to look into doing it this way here are the timetables:

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1349436566-30.pdf

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1318429077-109.pdf

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1307702393-111.pdf

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1287658513-166.pdf

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1318429075-108.pdf

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1334740995-187.pdf

A 3-day out of 6 consecutive days bus pass called an "Open Road" is available for €57. It can be bought over the counter at the Inspector's Office in Cavan Bus Station or purchased online beforehand:

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=279

I hope you have a pleasant and productive stay and that something I've mentioned might be of assistance in planning your visit.

Edited: 4:02 pm, October 27, 2012
Edgewater, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver in Cavan

Thank you. I was not aware of the local buses that are available even though we plan on taking the bus from the airport. I appreciate your helpfulness.

Ireland
Level Contributor
587 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver in Cavan

Tá fáilte romhat (you're welcome in Irish).

Most coaches have free Wifi too.

Edited: 2:15 pm, October 28, 2012
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driver in Cavan

To begin with I am not sure how knowledgable you are of County Cavan but if you rely on buses off the main N3 route then you will not get very far, particularly in the out of the way places you are looking to find so my advice is to forget about the bus. If I were you I would stay in Cavan town where you can get good accomodation and access to the library for searching records etc. Nearer the time we may be able to find someone with transport who wouldn't mind bringing you to the townlands you mention. Are you looking for existing family houses, churches, graveyards or just a general feel for the countryside where your ancestors lived. Have you looked at the 1901/1911 census: www.census.nationalarchives.ie

We are knowledgable about most things Cavan, perhaps we can help you.

Edgewater, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driver in Cavan

I have been to Cavan Town previously and obtained some information on my ancestors. Through the census I found out where they lived, but did not have time to visit these places. I am interested in seeing the family houses, if they are still there, and trying to obtain baptism records. The birth records for most of the children just say male or female. The family names are Wilson in Baillieboro and Johnston in Graddam and Ballyjamesduff. I am hoping that we will find someone to help us out, as we are not used to driving on the left and do not wish to take a chance. Thanks for your reply.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driver in Cavan

I had a quick look at the 1911 census, found some Johnstons in Graddam mainly Church of Ireland. Will have another look later, however you can search for baptism records online through: www.rootsireland.ie

Not all records are online and it might be possible to find them in local church registers when you come over next July. Will get back to you in a few days if I manage to find some more information.

Edgewater, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driver in Cavan

Thanks, I have the census for 1901 and 1911 and found my relatives, they were Presbyterian. I have contact Rev Jean Mackeral several years ago for the baptism records and she said that several churches had merged and that she would look for the records. After several attempts to get the information, I gave up. That is why I want to visit Ballyjamesduff to perhaps find the records myself. I checked rootsireland and the records they have are the birth records with male or female Johnston.

I am thinking now of staying in Balliesboro and going to the other places from there and perhaps spending a day in Cavan.

Thanks for your assistance.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driver in Cavan

You seem to be on the right track through your contact with Revd Jean Mackeral. The Presbyterian church in the Ballyjamesduff area is Bellasis church, situated on the N3 about three miles from Virginia, celebrated 175 years this year. There is also a Presbyterian church located in the town of Bailieboro, however I am not sure if the Revd Jean covers that area (probably not) and another church at Corglass situated a few miles north of Bailieboro. Have you looked at the ordnance survey maps of the area, available on www.osi.ie