We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Balieborough in Cavan to Belfast Airport

london, ontario
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Balieborough in Cavan to Belfast Airport

Logistics of getting from Balieborough in Cavan to Belfast Airport - what transportation services should I be looking at for this, and how long would it take - anyone with previous experience of this route or nearby?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Balieborough in Cavan to Belfast Airport

Not the easiest.

There are 3 or 4 directish buses from Cavan town to Belfast.

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1252400881-78.pdf

there doesn't seem to be anything early in the day

in Belfast there are frequent buses to the Intl Airport from the bus station.

total trip time from Cavan about 3:45.

another strategy is a bus from Balileboro' to Dundalk

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202482191-166.pdf

not many of these either.

There is a bus from Dundalk to Belfast every hour or so, it takes two hours from there to Belfast Intl airport.

london, ontario
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Balieborough in Cavan to Belfast Airport

That's what I was finding on the BE trip planner but hoping I was missing something - thanks for your valuable feedback - looks like it will be safer to abandon this plan and go with other options - much appreciated!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Balieborough in Cavan to Belfast Airport

I am not sure how frequent the busses are from Bailieboro. However if you can get yourself across to Virginia (eight miles from B/Boro) there are busses every hour to Cavan or Dublin. It may be easier to get to Dublin and then take a bus or train to Belfast.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Balieborough in Cavan to Belfast Airport

Bailieboro is a good place to visit at the moment as they are celebrating their 400 years. If you do come to Bailieboro be sure to pick up a copy of the recently published 'Bailieboro - A Pictorial Past',

london, ontario
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Balieborough in Cavan to Belfast Airport

Thanks for the tip about the 400 yrs - we'll be there for sure probably around the 19th/20th to visit my uncle so that's great to know -thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Balieborough in Cavan to Belfast Airport

You can go to Dublin, but it is quite a long way around. If the problem is that you want to leave early in the day it might take too long to make the journey. You could connect via Enniskillen which has hourly buses to Belfast, but this too may be too long.

There is a bus from Bailieboro to Dundalk Institute of Technology in the morning

http://www.valrussellcoaches.com

but of course this does not run out of term (i.e. in the summer)!

Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Balieborough in Cavan to Belfast Airport

Hi Snowbunny00774,

Please remember that there are 2 Airports in Belfast. The bigger one is Belfast International which is to the west of Belfast. There is also Belfast City Airport (George Best Airport) which is in the Harbour area. Don't mix them up!!!

Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Balieborough in Cavan to Belfast Airport

Hi Snowbunny00774,

Please remember that there are 2 Airports in Belfast. The bigger one is Belfast International which is to the west of Belfast. There is also Belfast City Airport (George Best Airport) which is in the Harbour area. Don't mix them up!!!

Ireland
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Balieborough in Cavan to Belfast Airport

Hey Gael Flyer!

wondering could you tell me what bus companny it is that carries out the hourly bus from enniskillen to belfast or name of route or anything i want to do that journey in next few weeks and cant find a timetable for that certain journey anywhere on the net!!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Balieborough in Cavan to Belfast Airport

There is an hourly Ulsterbus service between Enniskillen and Belfast, route 261.