We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loop Head

Which Kilkee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Loop Head

I want to drive the Loop Head in County Clare on my next visit. As far as driving the road near the cliffs, are they well enough away from the edge? I am thinking that I should probably start in Kilkee and drive south, this way I will be further away from the cliff edges... Do they have car safety rails? I remember visting the area with my cousin a few years ago, but for the life of me, I can't remember, and she was driving. Thanks.

Mary

6 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loop Head

The main roads are well away from the Coast in fact I would recommend tourists stay away from the northwestern coastal road as it is rather narrow.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loop Head

As tony says: the road is well away from the cliff edge; you can see it here in my photos:

flickr.com/photos/…

Enjoy your visit!

:-)

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loop Head

Sarnia, I was looking at your photos and trip report earlier...reason I added it to my agenda...I think it is perfect for a day trip from Limerick... I can stop in Kilrush and perhaps pick up my Uncle for the day, if he is up to it... Thanks so much! Will stay away from the narrow roads...

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Loop Head

The other Tony - tonyirish - posted yesterday on a recent visit to Loop Head:

tripadvisor.com/…41800947

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loop Head

irelandtravelkit.com/touring-loop-head-light…

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loop Head

Thanks Uasal...I saw that and prompted me to spend a much deserved day off from work (son graduated from high school yesterday and it was party central here over the weekend) to just relax with an empty house and begin planning my next trip over!

Reply to: Loop Head
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kilkee