We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Burren region or the region around kylemore abbey?

Which Ballyvaughan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
The Burren region or the region around kylemore abbey?

I am trying to decide whether to stay a couple of nights ear Galway and tour around kylemore abbey region or stay in Ballyvaughan and see the burren region. I love nature, biking, hiking and seeing old castles etc. does anyone have an opinion on where I might find more for my time? I am not interested in nightlife...so that is not a factor.

I will also be down in Killarney and Dingle....so am wondering which or these regions might be more interesting? The problem is I want to see it all:) un fortunately must choose...

Thanks in advance for any help.

15 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The Burren region or the region around kylemore abbey?

Do you think it is better to go to Killarney, dingle, etc? Or to head toward the Burren region, and Connemara?

Thank you for all the links for the east coast...making planning much easier:)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,702 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The Burren region or the region around kylemore abbey?

Personally I would stay North and West of the Shannon so Connemara and Burren. I am not the Majority.

Popular vote would be sending you to Dingle and the Ring of Kerry, Whilst I am a fan of Killarney my travels from there would send me South to Beara and the south west.

Can your friend not head over and meet you in Galway on the 8th save you back and forth, that way you could do the Burren and Connemara either side of the 8th in Galway. As Uasal says running back and forth to Dublin is the fly in the ointment.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,248 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The Burren region or the region around kylemore abbey?

Which ever you choose, you will not be disappointed

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The Burren region or the region around kylemore abbey?

All very good information, thanks...now I will make choice...unfortunately my friend has limited time, so not staying in Dublin is not an option...and there is much to see in the east.

That suggestion to see Beara and the south west is a good one, I have 'feeling' this is somewhere I don't want to miss...in this trip anyway...will want to return I'm sure:)

Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
502 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: The Burren region or the region around kylemore abbey?

Solo, I must say either way you can't go wrong. North or South of Shannon each have stunning landscapes. I am more familiar with ROK and Dingle than Connemara and the Burren, so I lean towards the south. I would definitely through in the Cliffs of Moher if you chose the Burren area. They are very impressive. Good luck!!

Edited: 5:53 pm, January 27, 2013
Reply to: The Burren region or the region around kylemore abbey?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted