We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drving from Ballyvaughan to Shanno Airport for 9am flight

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Drving from Ballyvaughan to Shanno Airport for 9am flight

Can anyone advise whether it is a reasonable plan to drive from Ballyvaughan in the morning (Sunday) to catch a 9 am flight? How long should I plan for? Thanks!

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
827 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drving from Ballyvaughan to Shanno Airport for 9am flight

Hello. I did this same drive a few years ago and it took about 1.5 hours. But that would mean leaving Ballyvaughan about 0530 to get to the airport at least 2 hours early for car rental return, check in, security, etc. I think you might be cutting it alittle too thin. Hope this helps.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drving from Ballyvaughan to Shanno Airport for 9am flight

A 9.00 am flight means getting to Shannon for 6am. I would be inclined to be a little closer than the 50 country miles from Ballyvaughan, Being a bit of an idiot I could probably do the trip in just over an hour on the R480/476 to the M18 but I wouldn't recommend it.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,907 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drving from Ballyvaughan to Shanno Airport for 9am flight

I wouldn't want to do it, you'd have to leave no later than 5:00 in the morning, possibly a bit earlier. Depending on the time of the year that leaves you driving in the dark on some roads that aren't always the best in that part of Clare.

And of course leaving at 5:00 means getting up at...4:00? No thanks!

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drving from Ballyvaughan to Shanno Airport for 9am flight

I agree with the others on this one and definitely would not recommend driving at that time of the morning from Ballyvaughan to Shannon.

I would recommend staying in Ennis or Bunratty which would be much closer to the airport and would still have plenty to offer for your final night in Ireland.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drving from Ballyvaughan to Shanno Airport for 9am flight

Thanks to everyone for the very sensible advice!

6. Re: Drving from Ballyvaughan to Shanno Airport for 9am flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 30, 2011