We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the homestead in Ardara

Saint Louis...
3 posts
Save Topic
Visiting the homestead in Ardara

My grandfather's family is in Ardara in Donegal Co. I would like to take a trip to the old sod and include visits to the Western coast of Ireland as well as Dublin. In this economic downtime, my funds are limited; I would prefer to stay in B&B's for six or seven nights. Can someone direct me to where I can find help with an itinerary?

Clare

Edited: 4:59 pm, September 22, 2011
5 replies to this topic
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
769 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the homestead in Ardara

First step---check out the questions about Ireland listed on the right side of this page. Lots of info. Then ask specific questions on this forum and you will get lots of great info from the experts. Enjoy the planning and enjoy the trip!

Saint Louis...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting the homestead in Ardara

Thank you kilted2. I used to work for Premier, Inc. in Charlotte. A great company in a beautiful city.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting the homestead in Ardara

A few points:

1. You can fly to/from Dublin and then travel onwards by bus to Ardara via Donegal Town. However, public transport in Donegal is quite limited, so I'd advise hiring a car for travel to Ardara and to other locations outside Dublin, if the budget allows.

2. You might find that your family are not actually in the town of Ardara but in some hinterland location which again underlines the advantage of having a car for getting around locally in Donegal and maybe visiting some of the great scenic locations in the county.

3. You should have no difficulties with finding B&Bs in both Donegal and Dublin. You can also get budget-price hotels in Dublin. I suggest that you look at staying in central Dublin, as it's easy to get around on foot to many of the main attractions.

4. Given that you are looking at 6-7 day visit, you might want to restrict your schedule to about 3 days in Dublin and 3 days in Donegal. If you get a car, you could look at flying into Dublin (2-3 days), travelling to Donegal (2-3 days) and then heading south to Shannon before departing to the US - maybe fitting in a night around Galway on the way south.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,378 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting the homestead in Ardara

I am hoping that Treaclebob will pick this up!

I would tend to do 2-3 days in Dublin (without a car) then hire a car and head to Donegal.

Ardara is lovely and is a great base for exploring the west and south of Donegal.

There is a nice dolmen in the area, we loved a recent trip to Doon Fort near Portnoo where we hired a rowing boat (10 euros per hour) and went out to a hidden ringfort on the lake. Idyllic. You can also walk out to the island at Portnoo when the tide is out.

My must dos in the area would include

Driving Glengesh pass from Ardara to Glencolumcille and then visiting the Folk Park There.

http://www.glenfolkvillage.com/

Visiting Maghera beach via Assarancagh waterfall. This is a beautiful beach with a sad, poignant history. Lovely for a beach walk.

Visiting Slieve League cliffs - maybe a boat trip if the weather is good? You can also drive (but it is very steep) and walk.

www.sliabhleagueboattrips.com/we-also-do.html

There is definitely enough in this area to have a lovely relaxing few days whilst still seeing a lot.

I would then return the car to Dublin airport when flying out - or overnight at the airport if you have an early flight.

Lots more information on the donegal direct website.

Edited: 4:15 am, September 23, 2011
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting the homestead in Ardara

Hi Clare

I would advise you to read Keith's trip report here

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k483…

especially nos 5 - 7 where he describes all his visits around Ardara in great detail.

Ardara is a lovely buzzy little town, and very well placed for touring most of the county. Good luck !

Reply to: Visiting the homestead in Ardara
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ardara