We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to Holy Cross Abbey and Rock of Cashel

Which Cashel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation to Holy Cross Abbey and Rock of Cashel

Is there convenient public transportation between downtown Cashel, the Rock of Cashel, and Holy Cross Abbey, and back to Cashel? Can one get a guide with car in Cashel to make a halfday (or longer) visit to both? Thanks!

Ireland
Level Contributor
549 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to Holy Cross Abbey and Rock of Cashel

The Thurles to Clonmel bus serves both Holycross and Cashel. Timetable here:

www.bkavcoaches.com/html/time_clonmel.html

The Rock of Cashel is walkable from the centre of Cashel - about ten minutes.

I'm not familiar with guide drivers with cars so will leave that part of the question to others with that knowledge.

Hope this info is of help and that you have a brilliant trip.

Edited: 6:38 pm, February 22, 2014
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
37 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to Holy Cross Abbey and Rock of Cashel

Ireland is not noted for a very good rural public transport system.

However in this case the following may help in relation to Holy Cross and Cashel shamrockbuses.com/Clonmel_Cashel_Thurles.htm

That should give you about 2 hours in Holy Cross which is probably enough

As stated by previous writer the Rock is easily accessible on foot from Cashel town.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to Holy Cross Abbey and Rock of Cashel

The nearest a bus would get you is 'downtown Cashel'! From there it is a few minutes to the Rock (all uphill) and a walk across a field to the Abbey.

Cashel is somewhere between a village and a small town, depending on where you are from and your understanding of these terms :-).

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation to Holy Cross Abbey and Rock of Cashel

Doneraile, are you thinking of Hore Abbey, rather than Holycross, bit of a walk from Cashel across the fields to Holycross!!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation to Holy Cross Abbey and Rock of Cashel

Oh you are right Harvey, sorry about that, thanks for picking up on it!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation to Holy Cross Abbey and Rock of Cashel

Many thanks to all my respondents. I am glad I amused you with "downtown" Cashel! I was thinking of wherever we would get off the bus from Dublin. I hadn't known about Hore Abbey. What a lovely spot. Walking that field to reach it looks like a lovely thing to do.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,195 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation to Holy Cross Abbey and Rock of Cashel

I note from your other post that you are considering renting a car for the Louth/Meath portion of your journey - a good idea based on your interests.

If, by chance, you decide to rent the vehicle to include your visit to Co. Tipperary, you might also enjoy a visit to neighboring south east Co. Galway, where there is an Ecclesiastical Trail.

See relevant parts of the Red Route here:

galwayeast.com/wayfinding_files/GalwayEastEc…

www.galwayeast.com/wayfinding/index.php

The area is definitely well off the beaten track and the local roads are not highways! The Ecclesiastical Trail in the Eyrecourt and Clonfert area is south of the town of Ballinasloe:

monasticireland.com/historicsites/clonfert.h…

megalithicireland.com/…20Cathedral.html

http://www.flickr.com/places/20072396

www.abandonedireland.com/Eyrecourt_1.html

You would be within striking distance of Clonmacnoise, to the east, in Co Offaly. (Shown on map, above):

www.heritageireland.ie/en/midlandseastcoast/

sacred-destinations.com/ireland/clonmacnoise

thinplace.net/2010/09/st-ciarans-clonmacnois…

Clonmacnoise is close enough to Athlone, from where you have easy access back to Dublin.

I'm not sure how long your overall trip to Ireland will be; maybe, this will be for another visit!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation to Holy Cross Abbey and Rock of Cashel

Thank you so much for your thorough and thoughtful suggestions. I knew nothing about the Ecclesiastic Trail. Intriguing. Your excellent knowledge of monastic sites leads me to explore in some new directions.

Re: transportation. The current plan is to rent a car in Cork (hopefully automatic so I can help drive) and return to Shannon Airport before flying to Manchester and the US. We like to mix up train, bus, ferry, car. Most of the places you reference would be within reach. Thanks!

9. Re: Transportation to Holy Cross Abbey and Rock of Cashel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, April 02, 2015