We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterford, Cashel and Blarney

Riverview, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Waterford, Cashel and Blarney

How much can I see in one day????

Leaving Waterford Crystal Factory for the Rock of Cashel then back down thru the Vee in the Knockmealdown Mtns. Then Lismore to Fermoy to Blarney.

Staying at Browns townhouse in Waterford and Blarney Vale in Blarney.

Rock of Cashel
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Castles, Historic Sites
Ireland Chauffeur Travel
Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterford, Cashel and Blarney

That should be do-able provided you go to a fairly early factory tour. When you leave the factory go right onto the Cork road and out to Kilmeaden where you turn right onto the R680 (a narrow, winding road, so take your time) as far as Fiddown Bridge then follow the signs onto the N24 for Carrick-on-Suir and/or Clonmel. This is a very good road and you will make good time. Continue on to Cahir (the castle is worth a look) then onto the N8 for Cashel. Take your time over the Vee (though you won't have a lot of choice!) but the other roads in that area are pretty good.

Riverview, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterford, Cashel and Blarney

Doneraile,

What about taking R688 from Clonmel thru Rosegreen to Cashel instead of going in to An Chathair. But going thru it on the trip down to Blarney.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterford, Cashel and Blarney

I know the road you mean from the map but I'm not familiar with it - the other road is very good and you could well be letting yourself in for a narrow road which would take just as long as doing the other two sides of the triangle. Maybe someone local might give you a more definitive answer.

By the way look out for the 'thatched cottage' near Carrick which is in fact a quite big shop for Irish giftware. I've forgotten what it is for the moment - is it Tipperary Crystal? Again someone local may help.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterford, Cashel and Blarney

It's Tipperary Crystal, but the last time I passed the place was a building site. They were completely re-doing the factory. That was a few months ago.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waterford, Cashel and Blarney

It was well on the way to being completed - or seemed to be - the last time I was in it, maybe the outside is still being done.

Riverview, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waterford, Cashel and Blarney

How does the Tipperary Crystal place compare to Waterford or is it something totally different?

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waterford, Cashel and Blarney

It was much smaller, but I don't know now since they have done all the work.

Tipperary Crystal does not have anywhere near the same reputation as Waterford. This doesn't mean to say the glass is not as good. Many of the smaller glass companies have been formed by former Waterford craftsman, who were laid off or took early redundancy.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waterford, Cashel and Blarney

No advice on getting from Waterford to Cashel, but I recently drove from Cashel to Cobh and on the Kinsale via "the Vee" and the Knockmealdown Mountains and can say that it was a very lovely drive. The view is gorgeous and on the other side the road between the Vee and Lismore at his time of year was surrounded by flowers - at one point we entered a "tunnel" of flowering rhododendrons that took my breath away. Lismore Caslte is also gorgeous. We didn't go in, but stopped for pictures. Lismore looks to be a nice town.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waterford, Cashel and Blarney

The Tipperary crystal place is quite different to Waterford. Waterford is a factory tour and a sales area spread over about 3 floors, rather elegant, almost entirely glass and some china (Wedgewood).

The Tipperary crystal is more like a big store with all kinds of merchandise, mostly locally (Irish) produced, but they have been doing development work on it and I'm not sure what the current situation is.

http://www.clonmel.ie/0/140/ this gives a bit of information but the link to Tipp. Crystal was not working when I tried it.

waterford
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waterford, Cashel and Blarney

The premises outside Carrick is now called Dovehill and is owned by Blarney Woollen Mills. It is a fine store with excellent giftware, cafe etc.

Well worth calling there. They sell Tipp crystal designed by the well known Louise kennedy.

Get answers to your questions about Cashel