We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! My Great Grandfather Patrick McGough(McGeough)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help! My Great Grandfather Patrick McGough(McGeough)

Hello,

My Great Grandfather Patrick McGough is from Dundalk and went to school at Saint Macartan's College sometime around the year 1900. He moved to San Francisco, CA at some point and was a Professor of Philosiphy at Trinity College there. He later ended up in Indiana. He met and married Pauline who was English in California and had a son named Paul while in America.

Does anyone know anything about him?

I am coming to Ireland for the first time next week and plan on visiting Dundalk and any information would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Jason McGough

Edited: 8:59 pm, September 30, 2010
Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! My Great Grandfather Patrick McGough(McGeough)

Jason

You might get more results if you search on a genealogy site. Given the dates you mention, you could check out the 1901 census (the earliest census still available here in Ireland). It can be reviewed online at www.census.nationalarchives.ie. From a quick, check, there are several Patrick McGeoughs/McGoughs listed in 1901. If however, he was in St Macartans' College at that time, note that this college is located near Monaghan Town in County Monaghan and not in Dundalk which is in County Louth - though given its proximity to Dundalk, it's quite possible that somebody from Dundalk would go to St Macartans to study. You can check out the college on www.stmacs.com - they may well have records of your g.g.grandfather.

D.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,158 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! My Great Grandfather Patrick McGough(McGeough)

The Genealogy section of boards.ie is also excellent and will give you a lot of information on how to research your family

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php…

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! My Great Grandfather Patrick McGough(McGeough)

Also try contacting the Department of Philosophy at Trinity College to see if they can help.

http://www.tcd.ie/Philosophy/

Edited: 6:33 am, October 01, 2010
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! My Great Grandfather Patrick McGough(McGeough)

Domhnall is correct, St. Macartans College as it is now known and to the locals of Monaghan town it is still reffered to as "the Sem", short for seminary. Was up until recently an RC boarding school for boys, actually my eldest son went to school there during the early eighties and boys attended from all of the counties north of Dublin. The principal then was Fr. McDaid, a Donegal man now the Catholic Bishop of Clogher. They probably still have school attendance records available from the early years and perhaps there is a school website. I am sure that they would be pleased to hear from you particularly as I know that they have an active 'former pupils' committee.

If your family came originally from Dundalk, Co. Louth you might find them on the 1901 & 1911 census. Dundalk also has a very active genealogical society that can be accessed through the Dundalk library/museum.

Good luck in your family history reseach.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! My Great Grandfather Patrick McGough(McGeough)

You could also try one of the local newspapers, the Dundalk Democrat, which has been published weekly since the 1850s -

www.dundalk democrat.ie. The library in Dundalk should have all the back issues.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! My Great Grandfather Patrick McGough(McGeough)

Thank you all kindly for your help Domhnall, beanalainn, tapl, Cavan007 and Andarma. I appreciate you taking the time to write some suggestions for my search.

I have been on several Geneolgy sites and will take all of your suggestions into consideration. I will continue my work by visiting St. Macartan's next week as well.

I have already found new information. My Great grandfather Patrick McGough was born 3/5/1894 in the town of Dundalk. His fathers name (my great great grandfather) was Edward McGough from Drumcah and his wife (my great great grandmother) was Rose Madden.

You never know if someone will recognize any of these names and I could find some family. Thanks for reading.

Kind regard's

Jason McGough

7. Re: Help! My Great Grandfather Patrick McGough(McGeough)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, March 31, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Dundalk