We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capella Castlemartyr

Dublin
3 posts
Save Topic
Capella Castlemartyr

Has anyone been to visit since it opened? Wondering what the food is like

Munich, Germany
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Capella Castlemartyr

at the prices that they are looking to charge they will be lucky if anyone visits. €120.00 for afternoon tea. no reservation, no entry to the property?!?!

Dublin
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Capella Castlemartyr

Thinking about a wedding here the setting is amazing - not sure about the hotel yet.... No posts from anyone who has stayed here so I guess its quiet so far.

Cork
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capella Castlemartyr

I stayed in the Castlemartyr Resort on Saturday and had to be peeled away from the place on Sunday afternoon. It is without a doubt, the most luxurious and impressive place I have ever "experienced". And indeed it is an experience. I have been a client of several so-called five star hotels in Ireland and the UK and hands-down this leave them all standing. The staff who have been involved in the opening as well as those who are responsible for the operation of this resort should give themselves huge applause for what they have achieved. From the moment we entered the grounds we were made to feel like royalty. Our wishes were catered for before we even asked for them. We were introduced to several people on entering the hotel, each whom were there to help us in different ways, from the concierge to the housekeeper. We sampled some of the spa treatments in rooms overlooking to beautiful grounds. Men and women are provided with seperate vitality suites (which you wouldn't want to get out of!) But if you do wander down to the pool you are treated with a chemical-free pool and jacuzzi. Dinner was quite simply, exquisite. Crab to start, followed by perfectly prepared and cooked beef and and an outstanding wine list just added to the thrill of the evening. Discreet but warm surroundings were like a welcoming blanket to both myself and my boyfriend. We were treated to a lazy breakfast on Sunday morning on the terrace (served until 1pm for guests on Sundays) and were nearly in tears checking out. Yes, it is expensive. Yes, there are lots of other things to spend your money on. But you could do alot worse than spoil yourself in this magical place. Thank you Capella!

Blackburn...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Capella Castlemartyr

We have just arrived back after staying Saturday night. Food was absolutely wonderful. Would have no hesitation recommending this hotel, service was second to none. Staff were charming.

Dublin
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Capella Castlemartyr

I did have lunch there 2 wks ago and thought it was awful! Totally over processed and overpriced and a mistake on the bill. Staff didnt even apologise for the mistake! Maybe the evening food is a bit better but I really wouldnt rate this place.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Capella Castlemartyr

There is a review of Capella today on page 26 in the Property section of the Irish Examiner.

At €35 for afternoon tea I'm afraid it just ain't gonna be my afternoon cup of tea.

Rye, NY
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Capella Castlemartyr

I visited this past fall, and the food is really exquisite - one of the highlights of the experience. The seafood dishes were especially memorable, thanks to the freshness and perfect preparation of the fish. The cheese cart they wheeled out at Bell Tower was another highlight, and the Afternoon Tea was marvelous.

And if you're in the mood for a cocktail, Barry in the Knight's Bar is a gem - he knows all there is to know about whisky and you'll really enjoy him.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Capella Castlemartyr

Nice setting. Felt i was going through the gate of a high security prison when stopped at the gate. "Can I help you sir??" I went in for ONE drink and it's pricey enough. I heard that a banana can cost between €10 and €15... I spoke to a friend of mine who said the food was good but overpriced.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
233 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Capella Castlemartyr

Hi, I posted a review, not up yet, but the one by nance giving the hotel 1 out of 5 is similar to mine, not a good experience and I will not be returning.

10. Re: Capella Castlemartyr

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, September 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Castlemartyr