We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slipway

washington, dc
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Topic
Slipway

Has anyone stayed at the Slipway in Baltimore? Any recommendations on what to see while we're in the area?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,544 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slipway

Sherkin Island or Cape Clear Island (or both).

On Cape Clear they have a little mini bus which does a one hour tour of the island for €5 per person. It looks like great fun, though for me walking is also a very pleasant way to explore this beautiful place.

There is cafe at the pier just in case you get hungry and of course a pub or two also.

Cape Clear is a 50 minute boat trip from Baltimore.

Sherkin is about a 20 minute boat trip and it too is a lovely visit. Bring a picnic if you can manage it and find a nice scenic spot to sit - there are plenty.

Lough Hyne nature reserve is also near Baltimore and is definitely worth a visit.

Skibbereen is a typical Irish rural town and should not be missed.

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slipway

Check out the locally made Sherkin Island sweaters.Very nice.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slipway

Have not stayed at the Slipway so no comment on that other than Baltimore is a nice place to stay.

Another option for day trip would be a slow drive around to the tother side of the bay, through the towns and villages of Skibbereen, Ballydehob, Schull, Goleen, and Crookhaven on your way to Mizen Head. There you will find a vistor center, (typical) cafe, and gift shop. The walk out to the lighthouse can be a bit nerve wrecking but the views are amazing.

Photos and travel review of such at: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g551490-d6…

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
230 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slipway

Haven't stayed at Slipway , but used Channel View a couple of times after T.A. recommendations . Very nice. Take dinner at Casey's Hotel , then take the road South West , park at the end and walk up to the white beacom marker above the bay entrance.

Superb sunsets over Sherkin Island , I never miss this trip whenever I'm in the area.

Silverstrand

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slipway

Sorry - yet another poster who can't help you with any advice on accommodation in Baltimore (we self-catered when we stayed in the area).

However, just wanted to say that both Bryno and tonyirish have recommended exactly the same places that I too have visted and thoroughly enjoyed: Sherkin, Clear, Lough Hyne and Mizen Head. If you're passing through Schull and it's lunch-time, then why not stop for a bite to eat - lots of great places. I enjoyed a really nice meal at the "West Cork Gourmet Store" (part cafe, part store) last May, and in previous years I've eaten at the Courtyard Bar and Restaurant - very popular!

http://www.schull.ie

tonyirish - love your pictures of Mizen Head - just looking at the photo of the bridge made my knees wobble - again! I really struggled to walk over that bridge, and felt really foolish when my husband and son just ambled across! Still, I'd go back again - fabulous sea views!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,139 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slipway

"On Cape Clear they have a little mini bus which does a one hour tour of the island for €5 per person. It looks like great fun, though for me walking is also a very pleasant way to explore this beautiful place."

If I'm remembering correctly, no matter which way you head from the ferry pier you have to climb a huge hill to get anywhere - I think I'd pay the € 5 just to avoid that lol!

Anyone know if they still do the stotytelling festival out there in September?

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Slipway

IrishFan

Looks like it's still going strong - the storytelling, that is :-)!

This year it's taking place 5-7th September

http://indigo.ie/~stories/

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slipway

Sarnia, you mean you didn't stop on the bridge to look through the cliffs or lean over and look down to see what was in the water below? I think we say some seals on the way out but they didn't come out in the photos.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Slipway

tonyirish

Aaargh - no, no way!!!

Honestly, I was concentrating too much on trying to get across that bridge without making a total fool of myself to enjoy the view - lol

And for those of you out there who might be thinking about visiting Mizen Head - it's really not "that" bad - I've just got a "thing" about heights! Please do go to Mizen Head - it's well worth it - as you can see from tonyirish's super pictures.

:-)

Furstenfeldbruck...
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Slipway

You guys really make me look forward to our summer holiday even more - 12 days in County Cork in August including one week in the Ballydehob area (self-catering). We mean to see either Sherkin or Cape Clear Island, Mizen Head, Bantry House, Garinish Island...

Anybody knows what is happening at the Baltimore Gala Festival?