We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Cork area and then to Killarney

Which Cobh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin to Cork area and then to Killarney

My friend and I are trying to SQUEEEEEZE as much as we can into 6 days of traveling in Ireland at the end of March. After reading all of the forums and trips we realize that we have to plan another trip back to Ireland and limit this one... but in the meantime... any suggestions as to our driving trip would be greatly appreciated.. we are leaving Dublin @1:30pm on a Wednesday and going to the Cork area for the night & then on to Killarney or Trailee-Dingle for the next night. Any suggestions as to staying in Cobh versus Kinsale versus Cork? We love the coast and views of the water; however, we don't want to miss the most spectacular scene of our trip because we were looking the wrong way..we are both interested in the museum at Cobh and if there were a chance to see a whale we would jump at it... we both love to take pictures so we will probably be stopping and starting along our route.(p.s. we will be skipping the blarney stone... we have enough gab without kissing it!!) From Killarney? we will be going on to Gallway where we will be spending 4 nights before heading back to Dublin. Any info on what to do, what not to do, or where to stay would be greatly appreciated.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin to Cork area and then to Killarney

You seem to have reason to go to Cobh and so for that alone I would say pick it over Cork or Kinsale. And with only one night to get from the Cork area up to Galway I would also agree with your choice of Killareny. (Over Tralee because the scenery is not up to much compared with Killarney and over Dingle because you do not have enough time to get to and from Dingle and still appreciate its beauty.)

Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin to Cork area and then to Killarney

Thanks for your input... we have been talking now and wonder if we should even try for Cobh or try to make it farther and have more time on the westside. Is Cohb about the right distance to stop for the evening? or would we do better to keep on going.. I am guessing that we have @ 6 hours to drive west from Dublin and we would like to be at a stopping point right before dusk... thanks..

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin to Cork area and then to Killarney

I would not advise Dublin to Cobh to Killarney in one day. Yes, it is doable but this is your vacation where you can decide the pace and not a business journey where you have to meet deadlines. Enjoy your evening in Cobh and get an early start for Killarney. You should get there in well under two hours and thus have the day to enjoy the lakes, mountains and parks. Could you take one of your Galway nights and add it to Killarney. On your full day you could do the Gap of Dunloe Tour http://www.derostours.com/gapofdunloe.html and then the next day take your time getting to Galway via the ferry at Tarbert http://www.shannonferries.com/ and get to experience The Burren and see the Cliffs of Moher. Of course The Burren and Cliffs are an easy drive from Galway if you decide to keep it at 4 days.

Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin to Cork area and then to Killarney

That sounds like great advice... I think that is what we will do...After reading alot of yours and others' comments about the roads and taking your time to see the sites... we were afraid that we would be pushing it... so we will do Cobh and then do 2 days in Killarney area and 3 nights in Gallway area... thanks so much for all of the input...we realize now that we will just have to come back and visit again and again and again... to see all of the sites!! thanks again...

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin to Cork area and then to Killarney

Glad we could be of help. And feel free to post specific questions in the area specific forums if you seek further information on any.

6. Re: Dublin to Cork area and then to Killarney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 14, 2009