We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

Which Tarbert hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

In Sept we will be driving through the Burren, Cliffs of Moher and next major stop will be Dingle Peninsula. Is it feasible to travel down the coast on N67 to Killimer to take the ferry to Tarbert and on to Tralee (and if so, how long would it take from the Cliffs to the ferry? Or are we better off to go through Ennis and Limerick? Thanks!

28 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

thanks for clearing the ferry and rental cars up for me- I just kept seeing people state rentals can't go on ferry- we are driving from Dingle to the COM and then on to Kinvarra so the ferry seems like the way to go- if we want to get into Kinvarra by 6 what time should we start off from Dingle

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,700 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

Depends what you want to see along the way but 4 1/2 hours + stops would be travel time direct

http://goo.gl/maps/xMOHV

Edited: 6:45 pm, March 01, 2014
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

This came up a year or so ago, someone read the very small print on their agreement (not sure which company) and found it stated that rental cars were not insured on 'any' ferry. if this is so, it is generally not read or ignored as many rental cars go on the smaller ferries within Ireland without a problem.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

thanks hate to get there and not be able to get on-since it seems shorter to take ferry than tunnel- but not sure if it is

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,700 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

The route via the ferry can cut about 30 or 40 miles but takes about an extra 10 minutes assuming you roll straight on.. That might give an indication in the difference of the roads..

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,601 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

http://www.theaa.ie/routes/ will help you with routes and time to drive routes...the mileage is very accurate but for time add 20-25%......I used to take the ferry but it has gotten too doggone costly and with the motorway it doesn't save you any time at all.....

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

thanks so much- I am feeling like the motorway is the way to go too- we are leaving from Dingle.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

My only question is if we want to see the Cliff Of moher isnt the ferry the way to go- we will be spending 2 nights in Kinvarra so we could go straight there and then the next day drive over to see the Cliffs?

Reply to: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tarbert
More Tarbert Topics