We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aer Lingus flight from Shannon to New York (JFK) via Dublin

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,015 posts
389 reviews
Aer Lingus flight from Shannon to New York (JFK) via Dublin

Has anyone travelled on the above flight?

My flight leaves Shannon at 07:45am travel to Dublin and then takes off at 10:30am for New York.

My question is: Do you have to get off the aircraft at Dublin?

How long is the flight from Shannon to Dublin?

Impossible to find this info anywhere, I've tried all the sites, Aer Lingus, Airport authorities etc. I'd get more info from a from a sod of turf.

Sorry, it's just the control freak in my, I'm generally VERY nice.

By the way, if you think I should post this on another forum, let me know.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,015 posts
389 reviews
1. Re: Aer Lingus flight from Shannon to New York (JFK) via Dublin

Oh Yes, and I knew I forgot to ask one other thing.

The recommended check in time for long haul flights (according to Aer Lingus website) is 3.5 hours.

So for an 07:45am flight that would mean checking in at Shannon Airport at 04:15am !!!!!!!!

Do you think I should follow their recommendation or just be a brave boy and check in say at 5:30am, which would be 2 hours 15 mins before the flight.

I'm just concerned that with all the extra security now that I might end up driving home again with two snivelling teens in the back of the car !!!

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Aer Lingus flight from Shannon to New York (JFK) via Dublin

I have kind of done this the other way. Flew from Dublin to Boston, stopping in Shannon. We had to get off the plane. That wasnt just so we could pass immigration in Shannon as we had to take all our belongings off as well. With a 2yr old in tow this was a bit of a pain. We were told any bags left on would be removed and desctroyed by security. That was in Feb so my guess is you will have a similar scenario as well esp after all the carry on in the UK recently

I cant rememer how long we checked in ahead. I'm not one for doing the 3.5 hrs before thing either, but I wouldnt risk it for a flight to the US considering recent event. Get it wrong and your kids wont forgive you

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,015 posts
389 reviews
3. Re: Aer Lingus flight from Shannon to New York (JFK) via Dublin

OH LORDY !! Thanks for the feedback, it's not what I wanted to hear but I was kind of thinking along those lines too.

This trip just better be worth it or I'll squeam and squeam and squeam.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,015 posts
389 reviews
4. Re: Aer Lingus flight from Shannon to New York (JFK) via Dublin

I bet we'll be the only three 'losers' at the airport at that time in the morning. I'm regretting this trip already, we'll be so wrecked by the time we get to NYC the only sightseeing will be stars encircling our swollen craniums.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Aer Lingus flight from Shannon to New York (JFK) via Dublin

The flight takes 20 mins. You can get off at Dublin and get a drink or something. I live on the Shannon side of limerick and usually leave the house about 1hour 10 mins before departure but I only need 1 seat. you will need 3 together so id say about 5.45 would be fine.

tulsa
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
6. Re: Aer Lingus flight from Shannon to New York (JFK) via Dublin

Bryno --

I've taken a later (1:00pm) Aer Lingus flight from Shannon through Dublin to Chicago as recently as June; we did not have to change planes, and actually weren't allowed to get off. But our "layover" was only supposed to be an hour from touchdown to takeoff (of course, it wound up being 2.5 hours instead!) I would allow that much time if the flight were originating in Dublin; but our experience with Shannon has been that it's a much calmer, quicker experience... I bet 2 hours would be plenty of time. You'll already have seats assigned, so there won't be that concern either...

Enjoy NYC...my favorite US city!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,877 posts
88 reviews
7. Re: Aer Lingus flight from Shannon to New York (JFK) via Dublin

A little note onto this - There are a lot of speed-traps on the Limerick-Shannon Road and there will be roadworks on the Coonagh Roundabout (which you will have to use - just beside the travel lodge) from the 29th - 31st August as far as the Co. Clare Boundary (two-mile-inn roughly).

Have a great time.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
63 reviews
8. Re: Aer Lingus flight from Shannon to New York (JFK) via Dublin

Can't contribute any advice, just want to wish you and yours a happy journey! Hope everything works out well for you.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,015 posts
389 reviews
9. Re: Aer Lingus flight from Shannon to New York (JFK) via Dublin

Thanks very much. I'll post trip report on my return.

Good luck tonight BeanAlainn in Musgrave Park, I know it's only a friendly, but I know you'll be awaiting the outcome with bated breath.

(is that how you spell bated? In fact what does bated mean?)

OK - thanks dictionary.com

"4. with bated breath, with breath drawn in or held because of anticipation or suspense: We watched with bated breath as the player approached the try line"

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,877 posts
88 reviews
10. Re: Aer Lingus flight from Shannon to New York (JFK) via Dublin

Zirtec 'd breath, actually, Bryno :o) Seems to be an epidemic of wheezing and sneezing in the city at the moment.

Just as well you weren't on this morning's one - you might have had a bit of a wait in Shannon!!

Have a great time with the teens.