We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Full Days with a Car Suggestions

Seymour, Connecticut
Level Contributor
82 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
10 Full Days with a Car Suggestions

My wife and I are flying into and out of Shannon in late July/early August. We will have 10 full days to spend touring and I am going to rent a car. We like everything.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 10 day self drive itinerary?

2. Is it necessary to book B&B's in advance? I was in this area about 10 years ago and remember seeing B&B's everywhere.

--- I have been searching through posts for a while now, but haven't come across recommendations for a 10 day itinerary with a car in this area. I apologize if there is one that I have just not seen. I also realize that pretty much everywhere in Ireland is amazing and that you really can't go wrong unless you try to fit too much in.

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers any help.

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Pelham, New...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: 10 Full Days with a Car Suggestions

Eeek! Seems like I hit a nerve. Sorry, I'm still learning about your beautiful country.

Edited: 10:25 am, June 07, 2014
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: 10 Full Days with a Car Suggestions

No need for you to apologise at all.. there are common misconceptions actively promoted by our own Tourist Industry Failte Ireland & Discover Ireland.. Truth be told I like Doolin but too high a B&B:Bar ratio for my nigh time recommendation especially September with the overspill from Lisdoonvarna..

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
91 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 10 Full Days with a Car Suggestions

Coach,

My wife and I just returned from an 11 day self drive, leaving and departing Shannon. We arrived at 7am, picked up the car, headed to Doolin where we looked at the Cliffs and did a boat ride to look at them some more; the next day we did a 4 hour walking tour of the Burren with Mary Howard from 10-2 (excellent) and then made a couple of stops elsewhere in the Burren while driving to Clifden which gave us 2 full days to explore Conemarra, which we loved.

We then drove to Dingle, stopping en route in the very charming and picturesque town of Adare for 1.5 hours to break up the trip. We skipped the ferry. We arrived in Dingle around 6:30pm and spent 3 nights/2 full days there, which was sufficien to drive the Slea Head and bum around town. If we had another day and if the weather had cooperated (a big if), we might have done the Blasket Islands. We really liked Dingle town.

We then drove to Bantry (about an hour south of Kenmare) for 1 night and en route, we stopped off in the Killarney area to walk half of the Gap of Dunloe (the scenery doesn't change much after the second lake), tour Ross Castle, and tour Muckross House and walk their gardens.

From Bantry, we drove the Mizen Head peninsula and then headed back north to Kenmare for 2 nights. We loved Kenmare, too. Small charming town. From there we spent from 10am-6pm driving the incredible Ring of Beara with lots of stops along the way, including a trip to Garnish Island for more gardens (we love gardens and May was perfect for that). Frankly, I think doing the Ring of Kerry, too, would have been somewhat repetitive of Beara, and from the posters here, not as "good". Not sure I'd devote 5 days of your trip to that region.

A couple of thoughts. All the areas we visited were different from one another and beautiful. I wouldn't change a thing. That said, it was a lot of driving. My wife was never really able to relax during the drives because she was the navigator and struggled in that capacity despite having a GPS and maps. Also, we had very good weather which allowed us to do everything we wanted to, especially with the long days.

If I had 10 nights in Ireland, and knowing what I know now, I'd spend the first night in the Doolin area; 3 in Clifden; 3 in Dingle; 2 in Kenmare; and the last night near the airport.

I would definitely line up B&Bs ahead of time. I find that a good one really enhances the trip. Also, you can arrive late so there's no worry you'll lose the room. But more important, booking in advance saves the time and hassle of finding a room, which can eat into the time you would otherwise be enjoying the sights.

Just my 2 cents. Have a great trip!!

Mentioned in this post
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
The Burren
The Burren
672 Reviews
County Clare, Ireland
Clifden
Clifden
County Galway, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Adare
Adare
County Limerick, Ireland
Blasket Islands
Blasket Islands
52 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
Bantry
Bantry
County Cork, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Gap of Dunloe
Gap of Dunloe
3,000 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Ross Castle
Ross Castle
2,338 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Ring of Beara
Ring of Beara
123 Reviews
Kenmare, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Kentucky
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 10 Full Days with a Car Suggestions

I have agreed with the other posts on this. It is the tourist season and B & Bs could fill up in some places. If you have time and you say you have two days, I like Kilkenny and the Rock of Cashel. These two are close together and Cashel makes a good day trip with Kilkenny being your base. Many good B & Bs in Kilkenny. Its not a bad drive back to Shannon from there.

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Rock of Cashel
Rock of Cashel
3,231 Reviews
Cashel, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Kentucky
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: 10 Full Days with a Car Suggestions

I spent my last night in Bunratty which is 15 minutes to the Shannon Airport. I had a very early flight out and Bunratty was perfect. The Castle there makes for a nice last day if time is an issue. The B & Bs there are top notch.

Mentioned in this post
Shannon Airport
Shannon Airport
Shannon, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: 10 Full Days with a Car Suggestions

Day 3 - Mizen Head

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
19,116 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: 10 Full Days with a Car Suggestions

@James B

"My wife and I are flying into and out of Shannon late July/early August."

Mentioned in this post
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
28. Re: 10 Full Days with a Car Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 23, 2015