We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Shannon en route to London

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Layover in Shannon en route to London

Hello all:

I am planning a trip to London in the end of February and will be stopping over in Shannon. I have never being to Ireland before and would like to take an opportunity to spend a day there. My flight will be arriving around 6am from the US and I was thinking of booking an evening flight via Ryan Air to London. Any recommendations of what to do with about 8hours in Shannon? Thanks for your help!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,458 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover in Shannon en route to London

You are likely to be jetlagged.

If however you wish to explore the area, then you might consider hiring a car in Shannon and driving to West Clare (less than an hour from Shannon). There are beautiful beaches, the Poulnabrone Dolmen, the world renowned Burren, The Burren Perfumery and the Cliffs of Moher.

Just a word of caution here - we've been getting a lot of Atlantic storms here since December so if the weather is very windy then avoid the Cliffs as they may be closed.

Also be aware that the Ryanair luggage allowance is quite light. Aer Lingus also fly into London (LHR) from Shannon.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover in Shannon en route to London

Thanks! Im thinking of a booking a tour from the airport and back. Since I will be there only a few hours didnt want to rent a bar. Any suggestions?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
130 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover in Shannon en route to London

bumswig,

Did you find any tours from the airport? I am kind of on the same boat and have been looking but without luck!

Thanks!

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover in Shannon en route to London

Hi:

I ended up flying direct to London but here are a couple of responses to my inquiries:

1. www.shannontours.com. Declan Roughan, tel: 086 8251111 (mobile), 065 6823075

2. barrattstours

Good luck! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
130 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover in Shannon en route to London

Awesome! Thanks - I will check them out!

6. Re: Layover in Shannon en route to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, March 08, 2015