We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irelands Shannon Region

Which Shannon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,721 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Irelands Shannon Region

Does anyone have any or know the source of any hard copy information leaflets from the old "Irelands Shannon Region". This was taken over by Failte Ireland back in June? All the web based stuff, even the facebook page has gone and lets face it FI's interests fall far from promoting the area in such a clear, informed and informative fashion.

Might be a winter project for me (or someone else?) if enough of the old stuff can be salvaged. My bookmarks are gone along with much of my memory even to the extent of the outer boundaries in Limerick, Tipperary, Offaly, and Galway, pretty sure all of Clare was included.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Irelands Shannon Region

Tony, the source of the Shannon is in Co Cavan, for information try: www.thisiscavan.ie

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,721 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Irelands Shannon Region

It's the other end that I'm thinking about although there are rumours that some in the north are claiming the source before it rises in Shannon Pot..

Thing is that there was a very active group promoting this "region" down from say a top line from Lough Cutra to Birr/Banagher and a base line from Loop Head to around Lough Gur.. maybe miss out the "Burren/Cliffs Eco Park" that area gets enough press anyway..

NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Irelands Shannon Region

Hi,

I just booked a trip for one week flying in and out of Shannon. We are a young couple and would like an active trip without too much driving.

Should we try to go to Dingle? We also thought we could go Ennis - Burren - Galway - Aran Islands. Anywhere we should stop on the way back to Shannon? What would you recommend for December and how much time in each place? Thank you!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Irelands Shannon Region

If by "Shannon region" you mean the area covered by the development company, it originated as the Shannon Free Airport Development Company (sfadco). There is a bit of the history here

shannondevelopment.ie/News/…en.html

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,721 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Irelands Shannon Region

ilenespitz any regulars know I don't recommend Dingle any time except as a nice pace to drive around between Clare and Killarney/Kenmare. The peninsular is fine and scenic but hardly as unique as Rick Steves and potential visitors would have themselves believe. In December Dingle reverts back to its origins a little, few if any tourists but still not the warmth of many years ago. The Town is not a touring base and if the weather comes in can be a miserable spot. Others will say the same of Moher. Fact is on the west you take what the Atlantic gives which can be wonderful or miserable within seconds of each other

North from Shannon, Ennis to a lesser extent than Galway has a strong infrastructure with bits of all sorts going on in the evenings and as touring bases a wide range of places to see if only through the car windows. The Arans in December need some thought, you not only have to get there but get back. Boats go out from Rossaveal west of Galway year round but can be stopped in bad weather.

December give the option to just wing it and see how you like places, get the phone numbers for possible accommodation and phone ahead at breakfast for the night, Maybe ask a separate question as it may become lost on this thread. ;-)

Soonas, Yes over the years i have been coming over and between there has been a "Shannon Region". Drive the roads around the area and you will see huge road signs telling you that you are there,,, But since Fail Ireland have taken the helm the only information on the area requires the sort of research few if any typical tourists want to be involved in.. Much of the good work done in my lifetime has been scattered to the stars.. all that remains is the Shannon Trails web site everything else is lost in "Discover Ireland"

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Irelands Shannon Region

@tony2phones

I was genuinely trying to be helpful. The "Shannon Region" can variously refer the river catchment, the environs of Shannon Town, the area also known as Mid West as well as the SFADCO.

That you choose to interpret my post as some kind of personal attack which warrants a snide response speaks volumes. Wind in your neck, will ya!

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Irelands Shannon Region

Tony, I had a root around the house, but no luck. Thought I might have some.

I will keep my eyes peeled locally just in case there are some floating around.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,721 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Irelands Shannon Region

What snide response??

Thanks BG I used to have a draw full of stuff but too much tidying has seen most of it lost, think some got thrown when the Discount card scheme finished.

Edited: 6:21 pm, October 31, 2013
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Irelands Shannon Region

Sarcasm is not my first language, Tony, so if I have misinterpreted your response, then I can only apologise

10. Re: Irelands Shannon Region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 02, 2014