We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car - Shannon Airport

Indy
Level Contributor
973 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car - Shannon Airport

Can anyone recommend a good rental car agency? I have checked pricing on line from a variety of rental car agencies and the prices vary quite a bit so I am unsure what the differences might be. This may be a silly question but I am not used to renting a car while on vacation. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,650 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car - Shannon Airport

We rented from Hertz in Shannon. We get a good discount with them, so it worked out well for us.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,476 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car - Shannon Airport

VacationJunkie-

You have opened a can of worms on this site. If you do a search you will see that pretty much every rental agency in Ireland has been both panned and praised! Some people have a love affair with Hertz while others have nothing but hate for them. This is true for all the agencies.

Read the fine print, take the max insurance and you should be ok.

See this for a sample!

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k597882…

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car - Shannon Airport

All the well-known brands are at the Shannon airport. We use Avis. We like the bigger name brands when traveling because at least we believe that road service may be more available. We like to rent cars in most countries where we feel totally safe doing so...Ireland, Oh, Ya. Just get in chant "left, left, left, left,"and away you go. Headed back for our 4th visit this May. To each his own, but for us tour buses are not our style. Love driving the countryside of Ireland. Cannot imagine the Ring of Kerry on a bus, and many of the tour buses do not go far north....shame.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,495 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car - Shannon Airport

i have used dooley rental numerous times and have had zero problems with them....they allow you to pay before you leave home, including all insurances, not surprises at pick up or return...great staff....

you will be required to pay for fuel at pick up but if you return the car full those monies will be refunded....

Saint Louis
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car - Shannon Airport

I appreciate the question and the responses. Anyone have any more recent experiences? Thanks for any help/info on car rentals at Shannon airport.

Saint Louis
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car - Shannon Airport

I appreciate the question and the responses. Anyone have any more recent experiences? Thanks for any help/info on car rentals at Shannon airport.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car - Shannon Airport

Shannon airport is no different to any where else in Ireland when it comes to car hire, it is a smaller airport than Dublin, and more user friendly as an introduction to driving in Ireland. http://easytourireland.com/ are Directly linked to Hertz and would for that reason be the Only agency I would consider other than going direct..

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k663109…

Manistee, Michigan
Level Contributor
278 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car - Shannon Airport

We just went in May and rented from Hertz. Zero problems.

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car - Shannon Airport

We just rented from Hertz in June as part of a fly/drive combination with Aer Lingus. We had no problems but there is a wait for the car upon arrival. Most of the delay {about 45 min.) was due to agents trying to talk customers into upgrading. Be sure to check for dents and mark them on the rental agreement. Our car was a 3 year old model and had lots of scratches and dents.

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
240 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a car - Shannon Airport

We rented from Avis at Shannon May/June 2013, service was good. I had a Corporate Rate through my Employee. Took the Super CDW, good thing as i I backed into a barbed wire fence in MAYO and chewed up the bumper and scratched the rear deck. The Avis people we very helpful and eryvery nice when iI returned the car. Filled out an accident report and iI was on my way.