We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental company in Ireland valid license rules

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
592 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental company in Ireland valid license rules

As I’ve been looking at rental car companies’ websites, I’ve noticed that every company I’ve looked at so far has a rule that a customer must have a driver’s license that’s been valid for a minimum of a year or two years just prior to renting a car in Ireland.

Here’s my story: I had a California driver’s license that was very valid for 8.5 years. A year and a half ago, I was involved in a pedestrian vs. bus accident that left me injured badly enough that my license was suspended for a year due to medical reasons (I was the pedestrian). My license has been valid again since April of this year. I want to rent a car in/around Shannon in November of this year. Can anyone think of a company that will rent to me? I don’t care if a company has good prices or good customer service. I just want to find one that'll hand me car keys.

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
464 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car rental company in Ireland valid license rules

"They all have an issue date, if you mean the date you actually receive or renew your DL. Also an expiration date. But in your state, do DLs indicate the date drivers FIRST received their licenses?"

My state doesn't have that. All it states is when it was issued (not the first issue date that I ever received the license). Reading through this post, I hope I had my drivers license for more then 2 years now, because I had it renewed not to long ago. So I guess people have to hope they don't have to get their licenses renewed before any trip to Ireland.

Edited: 5:50 pm, July 06, 2012
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,170 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car rental company in Ireland valid license rules

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. The only "date of issue" on my drivers license is from August, 2010 when I renewed it. I've rented cars from 3-4 different companies in Ireland since that time and no one has ever questioned it.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,307 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car rental company in Ireland valid license rules

i'm not sure if ireland has the capibility to do so but the enterprise agent i rented from a few years back, to drive to florida, said my traveling companion couldn't drive because her license had been taken from her due to traffic tickets and had been reinstated only 14 months before...

if they have access to run dlr, that tells when the license was issued, revoked, reinstated, violations, etc.....

jack.
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Car rental company in Ireland valid license rules

I would hope the state governments in America are not allowing out-of-country business entities to access such detailed info. The potential for abuse is massive. Most, if not all, states now require your SS# and some seem to keep copies of birth certificates and other identity documents in their systems.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,307 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car rental company in Ireland valid license rules

djoe, you could be right...in my employment we can get access to driving records for which we provide a name, dl#, and pay a fee.....we are not privy to ss# or birth certificates just the dates of issuance, revocation, reinstatement, violations, etc....

i think if a reputable irish rental car company, who also has companies in the u.s. pays the fee they can probably access dl's since they are a condition of rental....maybe?...maybe not.....

Edited: 5:08 pm, July 09, 2012
jack.
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Car rental company in Ireland valid license rules

Oma, is your employment related to the driving/insurance industry?

I do hope that some real nexus is required and states aren't just allowing access for profit or ???; not pleasant thoughts.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,307 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Car rental company in Ireland valid license rules

lol...no i'm not in the driving/insurance business...nor am i in the rental car business....our need for verifying drivers license info is strictly business and not something we make a profit from.....

jack.
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Car rental company in Ireland valid license rules

My thoughts were that the state gvts and certain 3rd-party businesses who facilitate the access would be the ones profiting, with the potential for insufficient safeguards for the citizens. (Not your company, oma - wasn't thinking that at all.) Situations like making sure your employees who have to drive for your business are licensed and safe drivers would be understandable.

I wonder if the OP has found some place she can rent or if she's given up the hunt.

19. Re: Car rental company in Ireland valid license rules

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 12, 2013