We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Input on Travel Plans

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Input on Travel Plans

As we get closer to our trip in July, we get more excited about exploring Ireland and start noticing more places we want to visit! :)

I'd appreciate input on our travel plans to see if they are reasonable, particularly since we're unfamiliar with the area. Our intent is to stay in towns where we can take advantage of proximity to visit nearby sites. I also want to make certain we're not trying to do too much or driving all the time - though I hope to break up the long drives by stopping at sites along the way.

First 5 nights: Dublin & Northern Ireland

Train to Limerick and hire car at Shannon airport.

2 nights in Newmarket-on Fergus for wedding; see Cliffs of Moher

2 nights in Clifden to explore Connemara

1 night in Galway; also see Burren?

Question: It's a long drive from Galway to Cork, but is it worthwhile going through Tipperary to see Rock of Cashel?

2 nights in Cork: visit Cork city and Kinsale

Question: Can we drive from Cork to Kenmare on our way to Killarney? Or should we drive directly from Cork to Killarney and visit Kenmare the next day?

2 nights in Killarney: visit Killarney and Dingle

Question: Should we visit Dingle peninsula after we leave Killarney before heading to Adare for last night?

1 night in Adare before heading to Shannon airport for afternoon flight

Thanks in advance for your help!

Yellowknife, Canada
Destination Expert
for Yellowknife
Level Contributor
381 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Input on Travel Plans

Hi There!

Not sure if I can help with all your questions, but the plan looks fine to me, however it involves a lot of driving.

Galway and Co. Clare in general is absolutely amazing, I would consider The Burren a must see, but not sure if you can fit it in with only 1 day in Galway...

I would definitely go through Rock of Cashel if I had the time, you can also see nearby castle in Cahir (on the road from Cashel to Cork), but just to be aware the drive will be probably long and tiring due to that.

When in Co. Cork I'd also recommend Cobh - a beautiful village with some great history.

Killarney and Kenmare are very close to each other, it won't make a huge difference in your itinerary, so it's more of a personal choice.

Dingle is quite lovely and I would definitely recommend going there between Killarney and Adare - if only you have the time.

Happy planning!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
377 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Input on Travel Plans

Do you really need two nights in N-on-F? With respect to all, there isn't a whole lot to do there. Why not one night and see the Cliffs and the Burren en route to Galway. Have your 2 nights in Clifden to see Connemara. The drive to Cork is about 275km or 4 hours. That may not seme much to an American but in Irish roads it's a tiring drive. Why not break the journey in Limerick which is approx 1/2 way. You can visit the Hunt Museum, St.Marys Cathedral, King Johns Castle etc. Drive to Cork and explore, stay the night in Kinsale. One night will suffice here also, stay in Kinsale which is enroute to Kenmare via West Cork which is a beautiful drive of about 120km. You now have 3 nights in the Kilarney area before heading for Adare and that flight home. Maybe drive the RoK from Kenmare and then onto Dingle. One night in Dingle before 2 in Kilarney. The choice is yours.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Input on Travel Plans

Unfortunately we need to spend 2 nights in N-o-F because of a wedding and the rehearsal dinner. You've given us some things to consider.

We wanted to avoid 3 back-to-back one night stays (Galway, Limerick or Cashel, and Cork), but maybe that's better to break up the drive while still allowing us to visit the Rock of Cashel. OR we can drive directly from Galway to Cork as planned. It will be tiring and we may not stop to see Rock of Cashel. Not certain what trade-off we'll make, but thank you both for the input!

Level Contributor
455 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Input on Travel Plans

While you are in newmarket on fergus you should try out the weavers for dinner or lunch - fabulous food. Also Dromoland castle is only out the road and is lovely for a stroll if the weather is fine.

Wenonah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Input on Travel Plans

I personally would stop at Rock and cahir castle. Both are excellent. Galway to Rock of cashel is 3 hrs. Rock of Cashel to Cahir castle is about .5 hrs. Cahir to Kinsale is 2 hrs.

I would plan on doing Rock of Cahel. it would break up long drive to Kinsale. Tour site, have some lunch and then decide if Cahir is a possible stop also.

Like someone earlier posted about staying in Limerick. You could instead stay in Cashel or Cahir overnight. and go to Kinsale next day.

6. Re: Input on Travel Plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, October 27, 2012