We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shannon Airport to Train Station

Az.
3 posts
Save Topic
Shannon Airport to Train Station

Need some help.

I'm renting a car in Dublin and returning it at the Shannon airport. I'm taking a train back to Dublin.

I need to know how to get from the airport car return to the train station. My options appear to be taxi or bus, each with its own pros and cons.

Similarly, I don't know which train station is better --Limerick or Limerick Junction.

Has anyone done this before? I imagine it's fairly common. I'll be traveling with one other adult and we'll have a healthy supply of luggage from our previous 6 days of exploring the country.

Thanks for the help!

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Shannon Airport
Shannon Airport
Shannon, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shannon Airport to Train Station

If returning to Dublin by train, you should travel to Limerick which is about 15 miles from Shannon Airport. The train from Limerick to Dublin travels via Limerick Junction which is a further 25 miles from Limerick but is not at all convenient to Shannon Airport.

Taxi is the simplest but most costly option for getting from the airport to the train station. I suspect that the cost is about €50 but maybe somebody else can confirm for you. The alternative is the regular Bus Eireann service from the airport to Limerick. You can also travel by coach from the airport to Dublin. For details of bus services, see shannonairport.com/gns/…by-bus.aspx.

PS -why not drop off the car in Dublin Airport? - seems like a lot less hassle and the drive from Shannon/Limerick to Dublin Airport is a quite straightforward

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Shannon Airport
Shannon Airport
Shannon, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,551 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shannon Airport to Train Station

You'd have to get the bus from Shannon to Limerick then the train from Limerick to Dublin.

Limerick Junction is in Co. Tipperary and you won't stop there if you get a direct intercity to Dublin. But carrying a lot of luggage on the train can be a pain.

As the sage Domhnall has advised, take the car to Dublin and leave it off there. The road between Shannon and Dublin is generally excellent. And the stress levels will be far lower driving.

Mentioned in this post
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,441 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shannon Airport to Train Station

Agree with the others...but just one other thing; if the train is a strong preference - Sixmilbridge is a short taxi ride from Shannon.

Mentioned in this post
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Az.
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shannon Airport to Train Station

Thanks for the advice and feedback! Now I've got some thinking to do.

The reason for the train: We don't need the car for our 3 days in Dublin. We're trying to avoid driving in Dublin, and the Heuston train station is within walking distance to our Dublin hotel. We thought it made sense to return the car at Shannon and then hop on a train to continue our adventure.

From what we could tell, it also looked like the train was a much faster way of getting to Dublin. Perhaps we were wrong there, however.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Libertyville...
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shannon Airport to Train Station

Hi, Much smoother to just drive the car back to DUB & catch the No. 748 Airlink bus to Heuston station, walk to hotel (the bus may even go past your hotel).

The other plan will consume more time and energy, especially with all the luggage.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shannon Airport to Train Station

The train from Limerick to Dublin is quite fast but when you add in the Shannon Airport to Limerick part of the trip etc, and the hassle involved, the car option is quite attractive.

Also dropping off at Dublin Airport avoids driving in central Dublin - you simply travel on the M7/N7 from Limerick and then take the M50 around Dublin to the airport, bypassing the city. As Trintraveller has noted, there is a bus service linking the Dublin Airport with Heuston, or alternatively, you could take a taxi.

One final suggestion - if by chance you rent your car from Avis, their in-town drop off location is quite near Heuston and maybe not overly difficult to find if travelling from Limerick on the M7/N7. It would probably be a more convenient drop off location than the airport, if staying near Heuston. Hertz in-town drop off is also not too far by taxi from Heuston - though not as close as Avis and not as convenient to the M7/N7.

Mentioned in this post
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Shannon Airport
Shannon Airport
Shannon, Ireland
Dublin Airport
Dublin Airport
Dublin, Ireland
Redondo Beach...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shannon Airport to Train Station

I am trying to do the exactly the opposite of what you are doing: getting a train/rail from Dublin and Shannon and renting a car in Shannon. So, what I was thinking getting a train from Dublin Connolly to Carrick-on-Shannon, and then rent a car for 3 days in Shanon... 2 questions:

1- Heuston Station and Connolly Station are close to my hotel in Dublin. So, I chose the Connolly (closer).... I read you all talking about the Limerick station, should I take the train to Limerick, or Limerick Conjunction or Carrick-on-Shannon?

2- Do you know if there is any car rental place close to any of these stations?

Thank youuu

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Carrick-on-Shannon
Carrick-on-Shannon
County Leitrim, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,551 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shannon Airport to Train Station

Carrick-on Shannon is nowhere near Shannon.

Limerick Junction is not near Limerick.

Get a train from Dublin to Limerick, then get a bus from Limerick to Shannon. There are a number of car companies there. And it is usually easier to rent there.

Connolly Station does not serve the south west of the country, you will need to go to Heuston Station.

www.irishrail.ie for trains. www.buseireann.ie for busses.

Edited: 7:08 pm, October 10, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Carrick-on-Shannon
Carrick-on-Shannon
County Leitrim, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Redondo Beach...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shannon Airport to Train Station

Thanks Bean!!!! I was lost.... I am glad I saw this forum!! I appreciate it.

Pati

Eire
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shannon Airport to Train Station

Dont forget to book online... Your train tickets will be a lot cheaper.