We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish Car Rental company???

Hammondsport, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Irish Car Rental company???

I am planning our first trip to Ireland. Staying in Doolin for 25 days in June. I am trying to rent a car out of Shannon airport. I plan on renting a Ford Focus with automatic and plan to purchase SCDW/excess coverage for "peace of mind". Also will have 1 additional driver. In comparing Dan Dooley with Irish Car Rentals, Dooley's current total cost is about $3,000 compared to Irish Car Rentals at about $2200. As far as I can tell, both on-line quotes are for the same coverage. My question for this forum: Is there any reason not to go with Irish Car Rentals over Dan Dooley in light of the significant difference in price? I would appreciate any advice for this novice traveler!

11 replies to this topic
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,755 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Irish Car Rental company???

Irish Car Rentals are a long established company (over 30 years). If you can compare like with like and get a better price with Irish Car Rentals then go with them.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,550 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Irish Car Rental company???

have you phoned dooley on their freefone? if you have the correct credit card, you may not need to purchase the cdw or scdw ! that would save you quite a bit.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,279 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Irish Car Rental company???

I've found over the years if there is a vast difference, and $800 is a vast difference, there is something missing with one of them that's included in the other......if you were talking $100 or less maybe not but I'd sure call Dooley and Irish Car Rental, and check......then do a line by line comparison......kind of sounds like an insurance is missing would be my guess.....

Hammondsport, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Irish Car Rental company???

when I first started to compare car rentals back in November, 2017, Dooley and Irish Car Rentals had almost the same price, within $150. Then in December, I noticed a major hike in price at Dooley. When I called the 1-800 number for Dooley in New Jersey, I was told that the price increase reflects the fact that June is a popular month to visit Ireland. I plan to call Dooley back later today to see if I am indeed comparing everything correctly. I have not called Irish Car Rentals since they do not seem to have a 1 800 number. I have only done on-line chat with their rep's. I agree that an $800 difference must mean that I am missing something but I can not figure out what that might be.

Kildare
Level Contributor
612 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Irish Car Rental company???

I'd agree that for that huge difference there must be something missing from the Irish Car Rental quote. Saying that, our family and friends have used them in the past and from their experiences they would be the company I would prefer to use. You could call them via Skype.

Was 25 nights in Doolin a misprint? You can see Doolin in an afternoon and there are other places with more to offer a visitor.

If not, would you consider another couple of bases to include in your stay (which is a great length of time and will allow you to see so much), to give you a wider view of what Ireland has to offer and a more varied experience? Galway city for a couple of nights, for example. Clifden? Westport?

Hammondsport, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Irish Car Rental company???

Von, no that was not a misprint. My wife has always wanted to spend 3 weeks at the same house on the west coast of Ireland. We also plan on spending a few night in Westport and possibly a night or two in Clifden. We also plan a day or two somewhere around Dingle. We are celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary on June 11th and doing so from a house based a few miles from Doolin sounded like a great idea when we booked the house.

Thanks for the suggestion to call Irish Car Rentals via Skype. I need to confirm that the price quoted online covers everything I think it does. I just want to avoid any major surprises!!

Kildare
Level Contributor
612 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Irish Car Rental company???

Ah, I see. It sounds like you have a lovely anniversary trip planned. Enjoy!!

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Irish Car Rental company???

Car hire in Ireland is seasonal and pricing often fluctuates based upon Supply and Demand. With rising numbers of tourists, Dooley may be anticipating a significant up-tick in Demand -- and is pricing accordingly.

Another option for full coverage rentals is http://www.connsirelandcarrental.com/

Nothing wrong with using Irish Car Rental, though, as long as their quote is all-inclusive. Just email them and ask for a detailed TOTAL price and bring a copy of their reply along at pick up.

Hammondsport, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Irish Car Rental company???

Thanks everyone for your comments. After calling both Dan Dooley and Irish Car Rentals, I ended up booking with Irish Car Rentals.I agree with remprimo's comment about Dooley anticipating a significant up-tick in demand and that they are pricing accordingly. I spoke with Irish Car Rental customer service representative and I received their email response with their all-inclusive quote with detailed pricing listed. I am satisfied with the price that I am paying.Hopefully, there will be no surprises when I pick up the car in June. Again, thanks everyone for your help. This is a very helpful forum.

Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Irish Car Rental company???

Hi, can i ask how it went with Irish car rentals?

Thanks,

Simon

Reply to: Irish Car Rental company???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted