We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz Car Rental - Shannon Airport - Hold on to your wallet

Maine
Level Contributor
287 posts
6 reviews
Hertz Car Rental - Shannon Airport - Hold on to your wallet

This Hertz rental location ( I believe a franchisee) is at least a poorly run operation, and I suspect very likely a shady one. Have rented many times in Ireland with other companies and never had anything occur out of the norm...Not so for this rental....

Part 1: Rented car via Orbitz and took the insurance offered by Orbitz for $77 for the week with no deductible. When I arrived to pick up the car at the Hertz counter the gentleman asked me if I wanted their insurance for $44 a day. I said I already had the insurance, to which he replied...not with us, which was of course true. So, I explained to him that I had purchased it thru Orbitz. He then turned to the "dark side" in tone and demeanor and told me he would put a 5000 Euro hold on my credit card to which I replied...that's fine. And, apparently put off that I hadn't been bothered by the hold, he told me...This is the way it's going to work, you damage the car you will be paying us, and you can chase your money from Orbitz...to which I replied...that's fine.

This was not the warm Irish welcome people expect, and which we received in every B&B, shop and pub throughout the entire week we were away from people at Hertz.

Part 2 (the "shady" part): Returned car with full tank of gas and no damage. But, the receipt I was asked to sign for (and did) had two interesting add-ons which were not in the summary provided by Orbitz...30 Euro for an "administration fee" because I did NOT take their insurance, and 5 Euro for a "credit card fee" which I assume they charge to all but the .005% of people who pay cash for their rental car. The word "thieves" quickly comes to mind, but I am not going to use it here.

I let Orbitz know what they were up to and without my asking they credited back most of what the Hertz team made off with.

Please believe me, I won't be dealing with those Hertz Shannon Airport shysters again. Ugly bookends to another great trip to Ireland.

38 replies to this topic
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,877 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: Hertz Car Rental - Shannon Airport - Hold on to your wallet

There is nothing "shady" about a credit card charge. It is relatively common and can be avoided if you pay by debit card.

And as for the administration charge - Hertz have to communicate with Orbitz - which takes time and money.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
148 reviews
2. Re: Hertz Car Rental - Shannon Airport - Hold on to your wallet

Thanx for posting Maine Traveler. The more information available for people renting in Ireland....the better. Glad the rest of your trip was enjoyable

3. Re: Hertz Car Rental - Shannon Airport - Hold on to your wallet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:07 pm, September 28, 2017

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,162 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Hertz Car Rental - Shannon Airport - Hold on to your wallet

"Part 1: Rented car via Orbitz and took the insurance offered by Orbitz "

Had you read any of my car rental advice freely given for many years on this forum the rest of your encounter would have been no surprise. It is unfortunate but there are stark facts which every rental desk jockey at all operators has to explain before handing over the keys of one of their cars to a client.

I always find that being nice to people means people are nice back, unless of course I happen to fall in line behind someone who winds them up.

Booking a Rental car with Debit Card requires that you do this direct with a limited number of operators or direct contacts and requires that you take the fully insured rental car package. It is not something that you can walk up to the counter and do.

Maine
Level Contributor
287 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Hertz Car Rental - Shannon Airport - Hold on to your wallet

Bean...I agree that Hertz and Orbitz should, by virtue of whatever contracting they do, be on the same page as to what fees are to be expected when completing the transaction, which was why I contacted Orbitz when returning home. Orbitz via their invoice had said that the remaining fees to be paid to Hertz would be the base price plus taxes and fees (airport location service fee), and those all were priced on final invoice as shown when booking. On the final Hertz invoice the 5 Euro is actually labeled "Debit/Credit Card Fee." In my initial post I had only called it a "credit card fee" but it appears they charge the 5 Euro for both.

Tony2phones (great name btw) I want you to know I was painfully polite when picking up the car and as I wrote my responses were "that's fine" when I felt the gentleman was turning on me. If we had a circle of friends they would readily tell you I am an agreeable guy...except when I drink whiskey which I do not do anymore. Thankfully my wife won't allow it. I would like to have you walk me through the reasoning/rationale for the admin fee for my not taking their insurance. I could perhaps understand if they would whack me with an admin fee if I had gotten into an accident and the handling of it in the absence of their insurance would be an added administrative burden. But a fee for not buying something? That is a novel concept, and one that most (actually, that should be all) businesses would love to have available to them. Again, Orbitz should be aware of it if it is the practice for car rentals anywhere.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,162 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: Hertz Car Rental - Shannon Airport - Hold on to your wallet

Hurtz as i call them are on my personal 3 strike list due mainly to their customer service (or lack of) so I do know where you are coming from.. But. Its the same across the board. apart from perhaps the attitude you would have got exactly the same no matter which desk you had stood in front of.

Credit card Charge is passed on because the company are charged by the credit card company. Its common for many companies in Ireland. The admin fee is to change their own insurance to the 3rd party insurance as you can't have 2 insurance policies covering the same risk, that would make both policies legally null and void.

I spent an hour and a bit talking to a rental agency owner earlier this year and as an American himself he admitted that the biggest problem particularly for his countrymen coming here and renting here was the simple fact that it is so totally different when it comes to the insurance aspect.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: Hertz Car Rental - Shannon Airport - Hold on to your wallet

Car Hire companies require you to have a credit card, credit card charges are not usual and the presence of one is definitely a bit irregular.

Maine
Level Contributor
287 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Hertz Car Rental - Shannon Airport - Hold on to your wallet

As the saying goes, “Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants.” If through conversations like this more transparency is created in the car hire process that would be a good thing.

Taking them in order…

The relatively trivial 5 Euro debit/credit fee should be built into their base rates, since the overwhelming majority of rentals are paid in this way. Assessing the fee at drop off is clever though, since few will take the time to argue it as they scuffle with luggage and squabble with their spouse for getting to the airport late, but it really isn’t a fair business practice.

As mentioned above, the Orbitz zero deductible CDW insurance was $77 for the week. I work in insurance (not car insurance), and if they are selling it for $77, they are making money selling it at that price. The insurance offered by Hertz had I taken it would have been 44 Euro per day…308 Euro ($363) for the week. Comparatively, that seems excessive.

The 30 Euro fee for NOT taking their insurance…This was not mentioned at pick-up. It only appeared on the final invoice; again where not much time to quibble. Tony2phones writes that it is charged to change their own insurance to third party. As I am demonstrating, though having rented numerous times in Ireland, I am a relative novice, but I would be shocked if they actually did anything administratively to alter their insurance for the week I had the car. Over here in the US (and we get virtually all of our legal ideas from your side of the pond) insurers, at the time of claim, use a process known as subrogation to determine which insurance company is ultimately liable. And, since I signed, initialed, signed that I was not taking their insurance, that process would have gone very quickly.

Having said all of that, I so wish I was standing at a car rental counter in Ireland right now, where I would eagerly be waiting to pre-pay my 35 Euro in hidden fees.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,213 posts
9. Re: Hertz Car Rental - Shannon Airport - Hold on to your wallet

The fees are listed in Hertz Terms and Conditions and Orbitz does provide links to them when making a booking. You do have to click a couple times and they are horribly formatted (much more readable at hertz.com) but they are there and you legally agreed to them when you made the booking.

That said, the fees are there because they can charge them - not because it is so much extra work. 30 euro per rental is still much better than 40-50 per day. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is the total cost of the rental. The fact that third parties like TransAmerica Insurance can provide $35K of coverage for $11/day and credit card can provide $100K for free shows that CDW products sold by rental agencies are a huge profit center.

Hertz is not reassigning insurance or doing anything if you don't buy their CDW. Most CDW is not even an insurance product. It is simply a waiver of their right to come after you for damages. Truthfully I doubt Ryan's Investments (The actual owner of Hertz franchises in Ireland) carries damage insurance on their fleet. The entire purpose of any insurance is to spread the risk of an unlikely yet catastrophic event (totaled car) across a large pool of people so that everyone pays a little for the unlucky few. When you own 1000s of cars you ARE the pool, so adding in an insurance underwriter just increases costs and administrative burden. I doubt Hertz is filing a claim with an insurer every time they repair a windshield chip or replace a bumper. That would just be paying extra people to push paperwork instead of just running to the repair shop or fixing it in house.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,045 posts
78 reviews
10. Re: Hertz Car Rental - Shannon Airport - Hold on to your wallet

orbitz seem to be persuading customers to purchase full cdw from them rather than use the acceptable cc insurance or the rental company's own cdw. however, this insurance is NOT accepted in ireland so when hertz charged you for cdw, they were perfectly correct. otherwise you would have had to leave a hold on your cc for the full value of the car, and also the insurance offered by orbitz has a limit of 35000$. not really adequate in ireland.

your attack on hertz is totally unwarranted and calling them a shady company is akin to libel

Reply to: Hertz Car Rental - Shannon Airport - Hold on to your wallet
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted