We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I rent a car?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Should I rent a car?

I prefer to walk, take buses etc. But, if I need to have a car to see the sughts, so be it

Thanks

16 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
7,482 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I rent a car?

Easy answer, Yes. And "learning" to drive on the West Coast (Shannon) of Ireland is much easier then being thrown into Dublin traffic. If your typically a comfortable, normal driver back home then you'll be fine in Ireland.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,745 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I rent a car?

A vehicle gives you freedom to come & go.. Not be tied to a bus schedule..Read the Terms & Conditions & sign nothing till you fully understand what is being offered.

There are many threads on this forum on renting a vehicle.. scroll down or use the green search bar on top.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I rent a car?

It's a very personal and subjective topic. To each his/her own way. We have been 6 times and planning #7. We would not visit Ireland any other way than self-drive. We don't like public transport of any variety or fashion when it can be avoided, no group anything ever when that can be avoided, and we always set our own pace and decide for ourselves what to visit. Plus, public transport and/or group tours will never get to some of the more remote places we have been. You could hire a car and driver on-call 24/7 for the entire trip if you have an extra several thousand just wasting away. :-)

Halifax, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I rent a car?

lots of bus and rail opportunity. I would suggest because of the roads being very narrow, renting a car would not be wise. hope on a Royal Irish Tour and sit back and relax and learn about what you are seeing. Its wonderful!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,289 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I rent a car?

Strange post, if the roads are too narrow for a car(which they arent), ,why would you get on a coach.?

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I rent a car?

We loved the very few times we "got lost" while driving through Ireland. We were able to see and experience things that were not on anyone's agenda. Met some great people that way too. Minutes later, back on the very nice roads...and I am from a large US city. The major highways in Ireland are not much different than our interstate roads and then there are some narrower roads especially as you get closer to the best scenery. My experience is that if you are on a narrow road then you are probably near the stuff you really wanted to see. BTW- drive the little grey lines on a US map through some of our more remote States and you have probably been on worse roads than you will encounter in Ireland. See, very subjective.

Ride the big coaches around the Slea Head with a left hand seat and then tell me about comfy rides on the bus. :-)

Edited: 1:36 pm, August 12, 2017
Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I rent a car?

There is absolutely nothing wrong or bad about driving in Ireland or their roads. It's the best way to travel there, and the only way to do exactly what you want when you want, unlike public transportation or tour groups. The car 's pedal arrangements are the same, manual transmission shift patterns are the same, modern manual transmissions are easy, and you can get automatic transmissions. Go for it and enjoy a wonderful country.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I rent a car?

thanks for all the good info!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,585 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I rent a car?

Where are you hoping to visit?

You don't need a car for Dublin - and you could get away without a car in Killarney.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,019 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I rent a car?

Donna, as was said, if you are a competent driving at home, you'll do fine in Ireland....

me thinks #4 might just be a commercial?......

Reply to: Should I rent a car?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted