We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shannon airport sim cards

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
shannon airport sim cards

does shannon airport sell sim cards; are there mobile phone stores inside the airport?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shannon airport sim cards

No and No. where to pic up a Sim/Phone depends on which way you are headed on arrival?? Ennis or Limerick are closest options

Mentioned in this post
Ennis
Ennis
County Clare, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: shannon airport sim cards

Heading down to Killarney. Also what's the best networking Ireland to buy service from? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shannon airport sim cards

Tesco Mobile is the service I recommend www.tescomobile.ie/plans.aspx#prepayPlan you should get a SIM card from Tesco on the way into Limerick https://goo.gl/maps/8MDNoR3mWvB2

Mentioned in this post
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: shannon airport sim cards

Thank you! You are terrific!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: shannon airport sim cards

Another question – is the cell service with Tesco 3G or 4G in Ireland. The mobile hotspot I'm bringing is 3G not 4G. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shannon airport sim cards

If you are looking at using a MiFi then the package is different, You might be better to wait till you get to Killarney and call into the "3" shop or Carphone Warehouse. I was advising based on a phone. If you have an android phone you could use that as a mobile hotspot. The problem with Mifi is that they connect to the data signal and if using a phone type package you could get cut off.

Tesco uses the 3 network but the home company do a better Data deal for the mifi. practically all data reception is 3G in Ireland you only get 4G in really hot locations.. I can see the transmitter from the gate and don't get 4G sometimes not even 3G.

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: shannon airport sim cards

Sorry I am confused. Regarding the MiFi , I hear you say I will get a better deal from the "3" shop or Carphone Warehouse in Killarney, ok; but the you say "but the home company do a better Data deal for the mifi." WHat is the 'home company'

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shannon airport sim cards

3 is the home company for Tesco Mobile who are a Walmart type store offering telecom packages. have done for years I was with them 20+ yrs ago in the UK 15 yrs in Ireland. They do a great a bundle for the phone but for Data their (home) Provider being 3 isn't going to let them undercut their (3) price.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Connemara, The Burren, Galway, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shannon airport sim cards

I travel all over the world - just download WhatsApp onto your smartphone. There's WiFi practically everywhere now and is almost mandatory with all accommodations in Ireland. You're good to go and can even send those photos and videos in real time.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: shannon airport sim cards

Thanks. Still confused. Here is what I want to do and was hoping I could do all this at the Tesco store near Shannon on the way to Killarney: get two sim cards for our two Iphones; and get a sim card for my mobile hotspot. From what I can make out the costs of the 3 Sim cards is €15 each which gives unlimited calling and 10gb of data. Thus all of this will cost us $50 (and more than cover the $450 we spent last year with Verizon for 2 GB of data).

Mentioned in this post
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland