We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CruiseKing's 3rd Day in Ireland: Roundstone & Clifden

Which Clifden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
CruiseKing's 3rd Day in Ireland: Roundstone & Clifden

Hello everyone...I'm slowly, but surely going to get all of this on here!

After we returned on the ferry from our overnite on Inishmor we headed to Roundstone. Got there around 10AM but not much was open. However, there was a pub open (sorry, I think it was called Mullen's) so we shared an Irish breakfast (since the "meanie" on Aran Islands wouldn't give us a proper breakfast send-off) & had a couple coffees. Looked like a very nice town and would love to go back sometime.

Then headed to Clifden. I had no idea that this area was so known for the "King" families...found that out from a nice young fellow at Joe Watey's bar on Inishmor. He said "you're going to see the name "King" all over the Clifden area. Well, again back to that darn book (McCarthy's Bar) and never passing a bar with your name on it without having a drink. LOL Had a few in Clifden and it's a good thing that it was the "slower season" or I would have had more. Had a nice pub lunch at E.J.King's and then had to go shopping to buy another windbreaker jacket because my Nautica jacket was now to the point of simply "absorbing all the rain"...oh that weather!

And because of the weather we had to stay the night in Clifden....instead of continuing onto to Westport as I had planned. Just didn't want to make the drive on "Sky Road" in the pounding rain...and after driving Sky Road (the next morning) so GLAD we waited. My oh my...that drive is almost as scary as Dingle's Slea Head! But oh so beautiful. We stopped at a beach and had fun collecting sea shells. So unusual the shells are...shaped like little cone hats...have never seen shells like this in Florida, nor anywhere in the Caribbean.

Well, we made it to Claddaghduff the entrance to "OMEY ISLAND"...saga to be continued on next post...you must now wait in suspense.... LOL

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CruiseKing's 3rd Day in Ireland: Roundstone & Clifden

Sounds nice. Here I was needing the Plow King, the character in The Simpsons. :-)

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CruiseKing's 3rd Day in Ireland: Roundstone & Clifden

You're not still plowing are you Boru? When I arrived back on the 21st JFK looked pretty cleared already.

You know what I missed this trip? Here I was in Ireland and it was so cold, so damp & raining hard and I just wanted to warm-up in front of a peat fire. BUT, I found that a lot of the pubs were burning the "peat briquettes", which barely have any of the wonderful "peat smell" or worse than that...they had "fake" fireplaces! What's that all about!

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CruiseKing's 3rd Day in Ireland: Roundstone & Clifden

Unfortunately people are getting ecology friendly, damn them!

ireland
Level Contributor
171 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CruiseKing's 3rd Day in Ireland: Roundstone & Clifden

I can't wait for the next installment. When my time is up I will probably be buried in Omey island.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CruiseKing's 3rd Day in Ireland: Roundstone & Clifden

Hi nobody's-child...haven't seen you for awhile. How have you been?

Funny you should mention that about Omey Island. While walking along the farther end of the island (by the coastline) we came upon a huge boulder that had a brass memorial plaque on it for a lady who was born on Omey but passed in New Jersey.

We're already planning next year's trip with renting a cottage on Omey for a week....more to come on the 4th day...Omey Island adventure....sorry to keep you all in suspense, but still trying to get things done here!

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CruiseKing's 3rd Day in Ireland: Roundstone & Clifden

Hi Cruise. Good to see you weren't too put off by the weather. Maybe you could visit another time of year next time. For instance in Spring you see the little lambs, calves and goslings. In Summer you can get some fine days. In August you can walk down the roads and pick wild blackberries. In Autumn you have touches of brown mixed in with the green. Just a thought. Cheers.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CruiseKing's 3rd Day in Ireland: Roundstone & Clifden

Good Morning Boru...I'm actually thinking about April, or May for 2007...or possibly October. Just want it to be warm enough to do a little picnic on Omey, see some of the beautiful meadow flowers next time and still stay "out of the tourist season" with more crowded roads.

Which sounds best to you? I'm thinking probably May for what I want...

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CruiseKing's 3rd Day in Ireland: Roundstone & Clifden

Good morning Cruise. I'd definitely go with May. You'll love the lambs with their little black socks. Maybe if you return enough to Omey you can claim you never left and claim squatters' rights. :-)

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CruiseKing's 3rd Day in Ireland: Roundstone & Clifden

Hmmmm....that sounds like a great idea to me Boru!

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CruiseKing's 3rd Day in Ireland: Roundstone & Clifden

Hey Cruise. More snow today, but only like 3 inches, which is a breeze. Bring on Spring. :-)

Get answers to your questions about Clifden