We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid The Lodge B & B in Clifden

CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid The Lodge B & B in Clifden

There were so many things wrong with The Lodge B & B, I don't know where to begin. We wanted to book at the Clifden Town Hostel. The man that answered said they were full and we should try The Lodge B & B, which happens to be owned by the guy's brother. Usually we like to research a place before booking, but we couldn't find any information, not even a website.

The sandwich board sign outside said E20 for rooms per person, which was E5 euros higher than was quoted over the phone. The woman said 20 was for the continental breakfast, 25 was for the full Irish breakfast.

When we tried to take a shower, the water either ran excessively hot or cold, basically ruling out  bathing. They didn't provide any soap anyway. The room creaked with every step throughout the building, and the walls, floors, and ceilings were paper thin, which pretty much ruled out a decent night's sleep. You could hear every one's every movement all night long.

In the morning we had to wait for breakfast until the owner showed up, which was only after we phoned him at 9:15. The guest area was locked, so all the guests were cluttered around the small entryway. When he finally did come, he never greeted any of us, didn't talk to us, but just threw down our food at the table. Where was the lovely Irish gab we had grown to love? Not here, that's for sure.

The kicker was when I went to pay for the four of us -- E75 for three Irish breakfasts and E20 for a continental, he said I owed him 5 euros. I reminded him that his sign right outside his B& B said E20 for a continental breakfast, but he said that sign wasn't for his place. He then proceeded to yell at me.

We have written many reviews and this is the first negative one. We just want to warn people not to stay here.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,089 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid The Lodge B & B in Clifden

Did you get the slightest alarm when you couldn't find information or just the price at €20 each??

If I remember rightly these are two guest houses on opposite sides of Bridge St near to Kingstown House (very good Guest house). Think the other is called the Weir on the very corner as you go round the top of town. My only suggestion would be to report this to Fáilte Ireland who have a small influence on standards.

failteireland.ie/Information-Centre/Contact-…

Please don't judge the town on this particular individual.

CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid The Lodge B & B in Clifden

Thanks for your interest, and I will take your advice and follow up with the local council.

The sign outside was clearing for The Lodge, even confirmed with the woman working when we checked in. I would simply have let it go if there wasn't so much wrong with the place, notably, the owner. In hindsight, I feel like we were "manipulated" into staying here because it was recommended by his brother.

3. Re: Avoid The Lodge B & B in Clifden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, October 02, 2012