We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to find a place ...

Concrete, Washington
Level Contributor
46 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to find a place ...

I know this will be an unusual and strange request but ...

About 12 years ago I spent a wonderful week at a B&B with a Lady and her young son at her home/ B&B about 2 Km north of Clifden on the right hand side (east) of the Sky Road. I think she called it "Hillside House" at that time. A single story house with a long sloping yard down toward the Sky Road. She was best of friends with a nice lady who was once from London, lived in the States for a while and then moved to Clifden and also ran a house ( I think her name was Joyce).

I am no good at names so I can't help really... except that her niece is a musician and travels and I met her here in Friday Harbor last year at our Gaelic Music festival. She said she would ask her aunt to contact me, but she hasn't. :(

I want to come back and relive one of my BEST memories of my life. I spent a wonderful week with those two making fun at me about wanting coffee instead of tea, going to the Maam Cross Fair, traveling to Kylemore Abbey and the Burrens, and hanging out at old Pater O'Tooles Bar (He's probably dead by now ...) where she always beat me at a mean game of darts!

If anybody can help me in my quest let me know! You have my word that I will buy you your weight in Guinness!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to find a place ...

I am not sure about Pater O'Tooles Bar, I think it was closed for a while and my main contact Paul Joyce (Lowry's) unfortunately passed last December.

Hilside lodge has only been going for about 11 years on the Sky Rd and fits the description but then so do many out there. Don't know how many pints are in 200+ lb but one pint and and a bit of craic is payment enough if I'm right.

The best thing is to come over and just wing it. even at the height of last years Art's week we found accommodation. Clifden Comhaltas is the last Friday every month and Arts week runs 15-25th September. You have missed this years Trad Fest and Fledh but there's always music somewhere in town.

http://www.hillside-lodge.com/index.htm

2. Re: Trying to find a place ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:35 am, June 01, 2012