We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Posting 10 Kilos to avoid fees on Ryanair-Feasible?

Level Contributor
340 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Posting 10 Kilos to avoid fees on Ryanair-Feasible?

OK here's the dilemma:

We are travelling for 5 weeks end Oct.through early Dec. on Delta from USA to Dublin, continuing to UK, then to Rome on Easy-jet. There we embark on a cruise for 14 days ending with a flight to Santorini(returning to Athens and from there on Delta back to USA. We are well able to keep our 2 check-in cases @ 20 Kilos each that every airline we will be using EXCEPT Ryanair allows. We also will have 1 "carry-on" each @ the 10 Kilo limit.

However, we want to fly Ryanair Dublin to Leeds Bradford, UK & I know Ryanair has a 15 K limit per person. We would end up paying 150 pounds for the 10 kilos we have in "excess" weight for our checked cases! I cannot find a flight to our UK destination for anywhere near as cheap as Ryanair!

I try to pack sensibly, but we have so many different climates during the 5 weeks-it's a problem!

Is it possible to post the "excess" 10 Kilos via Fed-ex, UPS, or Irish postal system to our friend's home in the UK? Surely it costs less than 150 pounds!

We will be back in Dublin on a Sunday,for our flight to UK on the Mon. at 6:35 AM. I think everything will be closed on the Sunday,unless someone knows of a service available?

But we will be in Clifden on Friday, 6th Nov. @ Station House Hotel. We could fix up a box to Post there.

Sorry for such a long post..Please help!

Carol in South Carolina, USA

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
511 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Posting 10 Kilos to avoid fees on Ryanair-Feasible?

Booking on an extra bag (online) is a lot cheaper than paying the excess. You could buy a cheap,rollup one that you can put into your other bags after ,or just leave behind.

Would that work?

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Posting 10 Kilos to avoid fees on Ryanair-Feasible?

Booking an extra bag is no use as the limit per person stays at 15kg regardless. I did a quick calculation at www.anpost.ie and your parcel would cost around €46. Not cheap, but cheaper than the alternative! Post from here to Britain normally takes 2-3 days to arrive.

Level Contributor
340 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Posting 10 Kilos to avoid fees on Ryanair-Feasible?

Thanks so much, ceannain and scampibear for the two replies so quickly posted... AND for "holding your tongue" by not suggesting that we could take less with us to begin with!!!

Yes, scambibear 45 euros is a much better option than the 150 pounds Ryanair will charge!

Now, is there a Post Office in Clifden, do you know?

I used the link provided in scampibear's post to try to locate a local Post office, but I've no idea in which county Clifden is located!

Thanks so much for being willing to respond...

Carol in South Carolina

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Posting 10 Kilos to avoid fees on Ryanair-Feasible?

Clifden is in County Galway and its post office is located on Main Street and is open M-F 9:30 to 5:30 and until 1:00 on Saturdays. And if you wanted your parcel to arrive sooner in the UK you could courier post it for next day delivery? for E97.80.

Level Contributor
340 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Posting 10 Kilos to avoid fees on Ryanair-Feasible?

Thanks, Tonyirish, for that information...

I apologize for my ignorance about the geography of Ireland!

I will ask at Reception at Station House Hotel in Clifden for directions to the Post Office.

No rush for the parcel...I will post it on 6 Nov & as long as it arrives in the UK before we leave for Rome on 13th Nov. we're fine!

Many thanks,

Carol

6. Re: Posting 10 Kilos to avoid fees on Ryanair-Feasible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:40 am, December 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Clifden