We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Achill Island / Westport, Ireland

Which Clifden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hanover, Indiana
4 posts
Save Topic
Achill Island / Westport, Ireland

We will be traveling to Ireland in May. The first part of the trip will be on a boat on the Shannon River. We plan on spending the remaining 9 days staying at Bed and Breakfasts in the western region. We will have two nights in Clifden, one in Galway and two in Doolin. My husband discovered Achill Island and is intrigued with it. Does anyone have any experience staying on the island and if so are there any B & B's you would recommend. I'm also looking at the Westport area. We will be picking up a car at the Knock airport and heading west from there. This is our second trip to Ireland and really liked the western area the last time.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Achill Island / Westport, Ireland

Bervie on Achill Island right on the beach.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
230 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Achill Island / Westport, Ireland

Achill certainly . Wonderful scenery particularly from the viewpoint from the transmitter on Menaun.

Have stayed at West Coast House ,School Road , Dooagh. Very suitable , good views.

Stacks of quality B.& B. in Westport.

In Clifden ,Mallmore House , Ballyconneely Road is

top of the class .Others on T.A. beside myself have

rightly praised their standard.

Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Achill Island / Westport, Ireland

Achill is one of the best kept secrets in Ireland, if not Europe. It has two of THE best drives in the world.

Drive A: Drive from Dooagh to Keem Bay, you pass the old Capt Boycott estate (Check out an old B&W film Capt Boycott with Stewart Granger) and climb over the shoulder of this huge mountain, on one side of the is the mountain, on the other side of the road is a 500ft-ish drop into the sea. The bay is the colour of azure. The road drops down to a beach (used a few times by movie makers) in a sheltered bay. From here you can see a vista of the Minaun Cliffs, reputed to be the tallest cliffs in Europe.

You can climb up to the old lifeguard station, be careful the is a 500ft cliff drop to the ocean.

In Achill they joke that from this spot you can almost see America, and the next parish is New Jersey.

(During WWII, the locals marked out the words "Welcome to Ireland" in white stones to give directions to American pilot/navigator delivering bombers to English bases).

Drive B: Go from Doogea to the TV transmitter on top of the Minaun Cliffs - on a clear day you can see north to Belmullet and South to Galway. Try Google images - keyword Achill (obviously), Keem Bay and Minaun.

Achill's biggest mountain - and they have lots - is Slivemore... and is one off the oldest mountains in Europe, in fact it is so old that it's older than continental Europe. Even so it's still 2205 ft tall.

There is heaps of history, plenty of fires, etc.

I was in Achill one May a few years ago and at 10pm I was still reading the day's paper indoors, with natural light - the sun was still shining.

I'm biased but Achill is one of my favourite stops in the whole world. It is still a wild place - very different to the Shannon and Doolin.

The colours - in the sunshine - are an artist's dream. Go and see this place, I urge you - it will stay with you forever.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Achill Island / Westport, Ireland

Good description Paddy, one of my favorite places too and many good memories at Keem Bay, renting a holiday home in Dugort and fishing trips out of Keel. It is like stepping into another world and a haven for peace and quiet, away from the maddening crowds of Dublin where the only traffic problems are caused by the odd sheep crossing the road.

washington dc
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Achill Island / Westport, Ireland

I have been going to Achill every May for past eight years and actually lived there and Westport for a little while. A beautiful place! The Bervie is a great place to stay, really nice people and good food. Ferndale www.ferndale-achill.com/accommodation.htm is kind of quirky but has a beautiful location and food.

If you like to hike it does not get better than Achill. Hike out Saddle Head or Achill Head with a picnic lunch you probably will not see another person, it is beautiful. www.achilltourism.com is a good site.

Lived in Westport for 3 months. Tons of hotels and B&Bs. Parking is sometimes a problem in Westport so a hotel or B&B in town with parking (Castlecourt hotel) is a good idea. Curry's Cottage on James Street is a great place for lunch, great soup, sandwiches and baked goods. Loads of great places to eat.

May is the perfect time, it stays light until about 11 pm and not many tourists. I hope you have a wonderful time.

Hanover, Indiana
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Achill Island / Westport, Ireland

Thanks so much for the input. Looks like we will definetely go to Achill Island. I've found a B and B in Castlebar that comes with rave reviews ,The Garden Gates, but I'm now wondering if we should stay in Westport for a night, before going to Achill,instead of Castlebar.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Achill Island / Westport, Ireland

Castlebar is quite a good location and close to the National Museum of Country Life at Turlough, well worth a visit and free entry. Westport is only about twenty minutes drive and there is a direct road from Castlebar to Achill Island via Newport. Advise do your grocery shopping in Castlebar if you are self catering.

Dun Laoghaire...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Achill Island / Westport, Ireland

Hi, We will be visiting Achill Island for the June Bank holiday weekend. Yippeeeeeee, we're very excited.... We are staying in the Bervie Guest House, my question that I hope I can get some help with is... How is the location of this guesthouse?? I know it is close to the beach but is it close to restaurants and pubs??? We are 2 girls, 1 of which is pregnant and would love it if we could walk to the restaurants etc....

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Mandy.

Hanover, Indiana
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Achill Island / Westport, Ireland

We just spent two days on Achill Island but I'm not familiar with the Bervie Guest House. I just checked and it's in Keel which is one of the "larger towns" so you may be within walking distance to a pub or restaurant.Things are rather spread out. I would recommend eating at Masterson's one night. We were stunned by restaurants prices all over Ireland. Had been there 7 1/2 years ago and prices have more than doubled. You may already be aware of this, but it took us by surprise. Enjoy your stay - hope the weather is as good for you as it was for us.

Sharon

Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Achill Island / Westport, Ireland

The Bervie (a top spot indeed) is almost the last house on the foreshore of Keel beach (as you are walking to Nun's Cove). The hotel is within two minutes of the nearest pub (forgotten it name, big white building nearly opposite The Amythest), and there is another pub (The Minaun) about five minutes walk.

Naturally these walking times are trebled after a night in either of these pubs. A simple equation is to multiply the number of minutes walk by the number of pints you drink and this will give you a Stagger Time back to the hotel.

Agree on the prices of food - look to pack a picnic!

Get answers to your questions about Clifden