We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Adare Village and Bunratty in one afternoon possible?

New Orleans
Level Contributor
98 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Is Adare Village and Bunratty in one afternoon possible?

For our last day in Ireland, we are planning on taking advantage and thought of splitting the afternoon between Adare and the Bunratty grounds. I'm thinking grabbing lunch in Adare (the Blue Door), stroll through the village after, and then driving over to Bunratty for the rest of the evening (5p-9) and maybe do the medieval banquet or the Irish night in the folk park.

I would like to know if this is doable distance and time-wise. Also, any comments about the Bunratty dinners are greatly appreciated. The idea of it is fun esp the Irish night (the banquet in the castle didnt look too appealing) but honestly, part of me is second guessing it especially since I am worried that it is a tourist trap. Also, how big is Adare village? Will a couple of hours be enough to walk through it?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,920 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Adare Village and Bunratty in one afternoon possible?

You can walk round the bulk of Adare in under an hour. Bunratty is two villages thrown into one and the key area is around the castle gates so 20 minutes including a game of spot the local. 5 till 9 in Bunratty is about right because the tour bus tourists are always in bed by 9 and the place is deserted. The banquet is a bit of fun as is the Irish night, would you go to Hawaii without seeing a Hula dance? Perhaps not fair because I love the Folk park and the castle isn't bad. As to being authentic? perhaps. compared to Soda bread made using only white flower.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,438 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Adare Village and Bunratty in one afternoon possible?

I would suggest you walk around Adare BEFORE lunch (as Tony has said, this won't take long) and then go to Bunratty. If you want to see the Castle you'll need to be there by 3.30pm or so because you can't see the castle after 4pm.

Is it worth it? Absolutely. I'm one of those "locals" that Tony has mentioned. I love Bunratty Castle and Folk Park. But also the shopping in Blarney Woollen Mills in Bunratty Village just beside the castle.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Adare Village and Bunratty in one afternoon possible?

Adare is compact and worth a visit. I regularly stop at Bunratty as I travel north. There is an ambience there that is worth experienncing and I would love to catch the banquet sometime. Go for it.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,025 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Adare Village and Bunratty in one afternoon possible?

do it, do it, do it....the ceili at the castle is a great way to spend your last night...the food is good, the entertainment wonderful....it's like dinner theatre in the 1500s.....well worth the time and money......

Canada
Level Contributor
5,103 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Adare Village and Bunratty in one afternoon possible?

As a foreigner- I found Adare a tad disappointing, especially when I could not get near the ruins. Unless you really want to go into every little shop, it can easily be done in an hour.

Bunratty Castle was great- view from top fantastic, Folk Park, was disappointing. Nothing special in the woolen mill that I had not seen before in many other places in Ireland. Did not go to Banquet- was travelling solo and really not into that type of production especially if you have seen/been to medieval banquets in Vegas, NYC.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,025 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Adare Village and Bunratty in one afternoon possible?

Nola I love Bunratty Village. It's sort of like stepping back in time and a fun way to learn some history and visualize the way the Irish lived in the past.

Blarney Woollen Mills is a great place to shop for yourself or anyone back home that you failed to buy for thus far.

Edited: 2:37 pm, June 15, 2013
New Orleans
Level Contributor
98 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Adare Village and Bunratty in one afternoon possible?

Thank you for all the comments! The tip on Adare is very helpful since this tells me that we can actually spend bulk of our time in Bunratty. I'd like to add the fact that we are driving in from Co Clare. Doolin to be exact. So, should we flip the itinerary to where we should stop at Bunratty first so we wont rush the castle and folk park, and then Adare village? Which means that if we do decide to come back for one of the Bunratty dinners, we obviously need to return to Bunratty after checking out Adare. OR what if we skip Bunratty dinner and just have dinner in Adare, which would you think is a better experience?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,438 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Adare Village and Bunratty in one afternoon possible?

If you're coming from Doolin, stop in at Bunratty first.

Bunratty is half an hour or so from Bunratty. Take the Shannon Tunnel - cost €1.90 one way - and you will have an uneventful journey.

Adare is not time dependent whereas Bunratty is. Except if you visit on a week day between 2.30 and 3.30 and between 4.30 and 6.30. Traffic builds up in Adare when the primary schools are out. Traffic is busy leaving Adare in the mornings and busy going in to Adare in the evenings.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,920 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Adare Village and Bunratty in one afternoon possible?

If you swapped your Doolin night to Kinvara you could do the Dunguaire Castle Banquet which is slightly different but more intimate and less tour bus than Bunratty.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,438 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Adare Village and Bunratty in one afternoon possible?

And Tony, Kinvara is such a beautiful town and the castle is located in a spectacular location!!