We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kinsale parking

sf,ca
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
kinsale parking

I will be in Kinsale on a Sunday in early Oct. Will parking be a problem? Will be arriving in the afternoon - will the lots be full? I would like to walk to Charles Fort - if the weather is nice. Will traffic be a disaster if I drive to Charles Fort instead of walking? I want to make the most of the short time I have there so any info will help.

Thanks,

Linda

Mentioned in this post
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Charles Fort
Charles Fort
1,782 Reviews
Kinsale, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kinsale parking

If you are going in October there will be plenty of parking at the fort.

Walking - Well I have never been a fan of walking on Irish roads and it would be a long walk from Kinsale town to charles fort.

Parking in Kinsale will also not be a problem. Here's a trick for you for free parking. When you arrive into Kinsale from the Cork City side you will see a Supervalu shop on your right hand side.

Across from this are a number of unmarked spaces which you do not have to pay to park in. Behind these is a new badly built and badly located car park(hotel planning refused so they built a car park instead of a beautiful piazza.) You have to pay to park in said car park so try to park on the street.

Do not park outside Dano's chipper because people eating chips will only sit on your car.

Mentioned in this post
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kinsale parking

It will be quiet in Kinsale in October so parking won't be a problem. Also on-street parking is free on Sundays - you would have to pay Mon to Sat. I'd advise driving to Charlesfort as it's quite a walk from town. There's plenty of parking by the fort. Just be aware that the road to Chalesfort is very narrow in places especially at Summercove but it's very scenic. Again in October you probably won't meet too many cars. Another way to go which has wider roads but isn't as scenic is to go to Pewterhole Cross on the Cork road and head for Charlesfort that way. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,870 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kinsale parking

Personally, I would walk from Kinsale to Charlesfort via the car-less Scilly Walk. It's very scenic and only takes 30 mins each way max. This walk is all along the side of the harbour and will be nice on a Sunday when the sailors will be out (sailing of course!)

Try and get to Kinsale as early as you can. Charlesfort run Historical talking tours which take about 60 mins and are very good if you have an interest in that. The tour is included in the price of admission (€4) or the also accept the heritage card.

www.kinsale.ie

09/09/09 09:09

Mentioned in this post
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kinsale parking

Just to echo byrno's recommendation of the Fort guided tour.I learned lots about history and munitions.I took the road train to the Fort and left my car parked at Desmond House where our party stayed last year in a very wet September.

Mentioned in this post
Desmond House Kinsale
Desmond House Kinsale
510 Reviews
Kinsale, Ireland
Kinsale, Cork...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: kinsale parking

I would recommend parking in kinsale, the main carpark opposite supervalu should be reasonably free by october (no charge on sundays). If not, parking is nearly always available on the road to scilly.

As mentioned above by previous 2 posts the best options would be the scilly walk, my preferred option (weather permitting) by far, should provide you with great views and a not too taxing half hour-ish walk to the fort (a couple of pubs are passed on the way should you require refreshments).

The road train is also an option, I haven't personally used it but it seems to be pretty frequent and has routes to both charles' and james' fort.

www.kinsaleroadtrain.com

6. Re: kinsale parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:34 am, February 24, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Kinsale
Recent Conversations